Magical hug

Chapter 7

Rachael's POV

I always find it hard to wiggle out of difficult situation. Now was such a situation.

I didn't know how to face Darren.

I didn't know how to tell him the truth. So I went with the lie.

"Honey, come here." My voice trembled when I called to my son. He was the only reason I was alive. He taught me to live life fully. Value it actually. When I look into his eyes I find my whole universe in them. Not because he had Daniel's eyes but because of the acceptance and unconditional love in them.They made you yield whatevers in your heart. So lying to my son was something new to me.

But looking at him also made me realize that he wasn't ready to know the truth yet.

"Mommy, are you crying? Did something happen?" Darren asked me quite taken aback with the previous scene.

I thought before I answered him.

"Honey, do you remember the time when you started school? You were worried about making friends and being lonely?" Darren nodded his head silently, shuffling his right foot in uncomfort, another unconscious behavior like his father.

I knew this subject was a taboo in the house. Darren had many difficulties when he joined school. Many questions were thrown at him. Like 'where is your father?' ,'why isn't he here?' He didn't know how to answer them as we never talked about it. Until then he didn't realize what not having a father meant.

He didn't have a father to drop him at school, to collect his report card or to take him in to a football game. But what he wanted mostly is to have a father ideal and grow up to be like him as other kids did.

This town hardly had any single parent. So Darren's origin was doubted even by the elders. And his serious and somber character didn't help either. Kids teased him everyday. He was ignored at school. He was lonely.

Slowy it mounted to such peak that he refused to go to school. Like me he wept every night to sleep. I cried for losing my love and my son for never even gaining his father. In the end I had to talk to the authorities and take some action.

Due to less population the town has only four schools. Two in this part of the town and two on the other. Here, one was there for the average people and the other for the wealthy estate owners.

I had enroll Darren in the average one. Because I couldn't afford the rich one. But money didn't matter compared to my son. I would have gladly spent every penny on him.

But that will not take him ahead in life nor will he grow up to be the man I want him to be.

So I did what I thought right. I made him stay put. And being Darren he just needed few sentences from his mother whom he worshipped.

I had explained to him that I was his father and mother. And when he will be old enough to understand I will tell him everything, till then he had to promise me to be strong and his father's absence not affect him. And my last question was enough to silence him throughly.

"Haven't I given your father's share of love too. Isn't it enough?" My little innocent son loved me enough not to answer that question.

From that day following he disregarded any questions asked to him about his father simply by saying. "Your mother doesn't love you enough. So you need a father too. But my mother loves me so much that I don't need a father. Her love is enough for me." Every one was speechless after that. No one bothered him from then onwards but no one befriended him either. But school was bearable from then on.

Through out this difficulty I always hugged Darren and said him it was a magical hug to rid of loneliness and feel of belonging.

"So do you remember the hugs I gave you everyday from then on?" He again nodded his head, still not looking at me.

"Today mommy needed that hug. And Nanny was kind enough to let me do that." I said to him.

"Mommy why do you need a magical hug? Are you lonely?" He asked forgetting his unease and worrying about me.

"No, no. I could never be lonely when I have you. I just needed to remind myself how lucky I am to have you and Nanny in my life. And a hug just proved that. Mommy is okay honey." I explained, leaving no trace of lie in it. It was true. I was lucky to have them.

Worry slowly left my kids face. And a smile played on his lips.

"Mommy can I hug you too and make you feel lucky? " I laughed at his innocent question and opened my arms widely.

I put Darren to sleep and headed towards my room when my phone rang. It was on the table. Who could be calling at this time? Not many had my number. Well I didn't have many people to give my number. Mrs. Carvel only called during weekends to know about her estate that I handled. I could only get the answer if I received the call.

"Hello?" I said putting the phone on my ear.

"Ah! Rachael dear, I thought I wouldn't reach you at this time."

It was Mrs. Carvel. Who could it else be?

"Yes Mrs. Carvel. Is everything alright?" I asked worried at her unusual time of calling.

"Yes, yes everything is alright. I am sorry for calling you at this time. I couldn't inform you earlier. As you know Jacob has retired last week, I have sent someone for the job."

Jacob Thompson was the manager whom I had to report. Technically I looked after all the accounts and managed everything. It cost much more headache and time. But as the title indicated he was given the credit.

I was relieved when he retired but still unsure how the new manager will be.

"Go to Jacob's office tomorrow and meet him there. I have given him the address. He will be there. Please see to all his necessaties." Mrs. Carvel continued.

Do I have a choice? So I had to agree.

"Okay Mrs Carvel I will do that." I noted the time of the appointment and hanged.

Tomorrow is going to be a heck of a day. I hope the new manager isn't like Jacob.

**************************************

So who could the new manager be? Any guesses? I know what you guys are thinking! But your thoughts can only be confirmed when you read the next chapter. For that I need a treat from you guys.

10 VOTES AND 10 COMMENTS.

Its not so big score so I hope it will be done with quickly. I won't be updating till I reach that target. For better or worse. If I don't reach that score I will ditch this story. Cz if you guys don't vote means you don't like it. And if you don't like it there's no use of writing it.

*P.s. Plz be quick cz I can't wait to put up the next chapter.

Another chapter done. I have done it in a hurry so please let me know if there are any mistakes.