A Little Bit About the Past

I pulled back and got a good look at my old friend. I stood up and held him at arms length just taking him in. he was here in front of me and I just couldn’t believe it.

“Look at you!” he laughed. “You all grown up!” I laughed.

“Look at you! You’re like a grown man!” he smirked and struck a pose gesturing to himself.

“100% man if you know what I mean.” He winked at me; he was such a cocky ass.

“Yup, still the same old you.” I laughed.

“I can’t say the same about you.” he licked his lips looking me up and down. “You sure did grow up. Why don’t you come over to my house tonight and we ‘catch up’?” I punched him arm as my mouth fell open in surprise. He groaned and held his arm. “Yup still the same old swan.” I rolled my eyes.

“You two know each other?” I was surprised by this new voice. I looked over and saw a woman watching us skeptically behind Mr. Clark. She looked familiar, then it hit me and I saw her hand on Mr. Clark’s shoulder.

She was Carla, the infamous fiancé.

“Yeah!” Blake cheered. He looked down giving me that look, that look I knew all too well. How much do they know? I shook my head slightly tell him that they knew nothing. He smiled back at Carla and Mr. Clark. “We’ve known each other since I was 16 years old. She lived a few blocks away from where I used to hang out. I would walk her to school to make sure she was safe.” He rubbed my shoulder reminding me of those days. He told some of the truth. He never walked me to school, that was Ricky’s job. He walked me from school after making a deal with some of the kids on campus. He would walk me back to the cabin and we’d start making supply together.

He skipped over the drugs part.

“Oh! So you two go way back?” Mr. Clark asked looking a bit confused. I nodded and looked up at Blake, I missed him like hell.

“Hi.” I looked up and saw Carla reaching her hand out to me. “My name is Carla, I don’t think we’ve been properly introduced.” I took her hand along with the fake smile she offered me.

“Riley Swan. I’m Mr. Clark’s student aide.” She giggled and pushed Mr. Clark’s shoulder playfully. It made me cringe.

“It feels so weird hearing people call you Mr. Clark.” She winked at him. “It’s nice to meet you Riley.” She smiled.

“Yeah. Do you have a last name?” she gave me a confused looked talking her hand back slowly. I refrained from rolling my eyes; she acted like I was going to chock her. I just asked for her name. 

“Bloomfield, Carla Bloomfield.” Something struck my memory at the sound of her last name, and I had completely forgotten Blake was standing right next to me.

“Do you have a sister?” everyone in the room eyes grew wide as they stared at me.

“Yes, she ran away. Do you know her? Her name is Bella.” Blake grabbed my shoulder as if begging me not to tell what we both knew was true. I shook my head.

“No, I’m sorry. I was just curious. It’s a question I ask a lot of people.” She gave a confused looked and frowned. I could tell she didn’t like me, and I really didn’t care. Mr. Clark was the voice that broke the tension first.

“Carla what are you doing here?” he asked looking up at her behind his shoulder. She looked away from me slowly as if she didn’t trust what I would do away from her gaze. I scoffed and rolled my eyes. I walked over to clean the board and write down Mr. Clark’s lesson plan for next period.