Granola Bar

So sorry for the long wait! I've been really busy at work. I hope you enjoy it! P.S the video above is not mine but I think it's kind of cool : )

~Max Perspective~

I gotta hand it to the idiot, David does know how to pull together money for something. It kind of took me by surprise when he said that it was his father who helped out though. He never talked about his parents so I just assumed they didn't like him or were like, dead, or something. Anyways, I can't wait until we get to try our Blueberry Crumb Bars later. I won't ever tell anyone this, but I actually love to cook and bake things. Before I came here, I had to cook dinner at home, though most of the time it was just microwave dinners. Whenever my mom did actually bring home real food, I was always looking through the cookbooks filed away at the back of the pantry shelves. Usually, this would be something typical 10-year-olds would do with their parents, but unfortunately, my parents were abusive drunks who didn't give two fucks about the existence of their child. I snap out of my daydream and look around the mess hall.

 Everybody had made such a huge mess, big rip to David and Gwen when they clean this up. My stomach growls reminding me that I still haven't eaten anything today. It was past breakfast time and lunch was served not too long ago but I took that time to sleep. I guess David heard my stomach growling because the next thing I knew, he was digging in some bag he pulled out of nowhere and handing me a granola bar.

"Here Max, eat this. I don't think I've seen you eat all day. A growing boy needs to eat well!" He said smiling. He's so annoying sometimes. "Thanks," I mumble as I take the bar. As I sit and stare at everyone doing their own thing, some signing the card and others leaving, I wonder what I want to do. I feel kind of empty now that I'm done making my bars. That just made me think about how crappy my home was. We only have a couple of more weeks left at summer camp and for some reason, I feel... disappointed? Sad? No... Afraid.

As much as I shit on this poor excuse of a camp, I actually feel at home here. I don't know what I'd do if I had to go back to my parents. The smell of cigarettes, marijuana, whisky, and boiled hotdogs. The tiny, creeky, old bed of mine. The yelling over the loud t.v at 3 in the morning. I-I don't think I will be able to take that mental strain again. But, where would I go? I mean, I don't know anyone else family-related and I don't want to get stuck at some pitiful suicide clinic they call an orphanage. I finish my bar. Everyone had left and David was walking around collecting the pans. He came over and sat the pans down beside ours on the table. "Hey Max," He said as he walked into the kitchen. "I'm going to start baking. Did you want to help? I noticed that you didn't go back outside with your friends." I looked down at my feet. My heart started pounding faster and faster and my vision was getting blurry. What was happening to me? "David," I whisper barely audible. "Max, you ok?" He asked coming out of the kitchen.

~Davids Perspective~

I was coming out of the kitchen after asking Max if he wanted to bake with me, but he didn't answer. Instead, I saw him with his head down and his fists balled up. "Max?!" I asked again as I ran towards him. He was shivering violently and when I knelt down to see his face, he was... Crying."Max, what's wrong?! Are you hurt?" I looked all over to see if he had fallen or gotten a cut anywhere. I'm pretty sure I didn't have any sharp objects out for the campers to get to. He looked physically fine. "Tell me what's wrong Max so I can try and help," I tell him as I started to freak out myself. "David," He whispered. "Yes, Max?" I encouraged. "Where will you go after camp ends?" I back up a little bit, stunned by his sudden question. "Well, I'm going home like everyone else silly," I say with a small smile. "Are you sad about camp ending soon?" He's still crying and I feel a deep aching pain in my chest. I don't like it when Max is upset but I've never seen him cry before. I hated it, and I don't hate many things.

I pull a handkerchief out of my back pocket and gently wipe away his tears. "Max," I say softly. "Please don't be upset. I know that you'll miss your friends and... I know, I'll miss you. I feel myself starting to tear up now. I don't want to go back home. it's not only lonely but I have memories there that I just want to forget. Even today, I dread going to see my father. He's done... things.I haven't spoken to him in years until today when I asked for the money. "David" Max muffles through my shirt. There was a short pause. "Nevermind." He said. We just sat in silence for a couple more minutes. It wasn't awkward or embarrassing, more like relieving and comforting. "You feeling better now?" I asked. "Yeah, but if you tell anyone about this I'll kill you." He said in response. I just laughed. It's good to see him back to normal.