t w e l v e

"Master, the benet was well-received by the honorable Hathor. She expresses her gratitude and would like to meet over supper tonight."

"I suppose I can. Although I'm not sure. Let's just see what happens I guess."

Rana carefully placed the wig on [Name]'s head and adjusting the hair ornaments before she placed accessories on her wrist. Today was the second day of the competition and [Name] was feeling a bit anxious. Was it perhaps because she and Seth ended on bad terms yesterday?

The trip was short and soon [Name] arrived at the temple near the Nile river where the second trial would be held. As soon as she entered, a loud voice called for her.

"[Name]!"

Hathor waved enthusiastically as she patted on the throne beside her, gesturing for the goddess to sit. [Name] smiled and sat beside her as the rest of the gods filed in, waiting for the two opponents who soon showed up with Maat.

Another scroll was drawn from the same vase used the day before and the gods felt both dread and anticipation as Maat tugged at the string holding the scroll and spread out the papyrus, reading the words written.

"The second match will be...stone boat racing."

--later--

A few minutes have passed since Seth had set off to the river while Horus was nowhere to be seen. [Name] impatiently tapped her finger against the armrest of her throne as she kept thinking of the worst scenarios that could happen during the competition.

"You seem nervous."

She sharply turned her head to see Ra smiling at her slyly. [Name] gasped as she stepped backwards, a bit shocked to see the almighty sun god before her. They only had few interactions together and weren't particularly close.

"Greetings, honorable Ra."

"Oh my, you seem quite nervous. Well don't be! I don't bite~"

"Indeed...so why have you come to find me?"

"Oh well, Hathor's been talking about you quite often lately so I figured why not talk with you? You seem quite amusing, especially today. You look like a prancing chick."

"Oh...uh, thank you...?"

"You're welcome. Anyways, it seems like you and your husband haven't been going along well these days."

"How do you know that?"

"It doesn't matter now, I can only assume that your husband's temper would explode after this."

"...What?"

[Name] followed Ra's gaze and was more than horrified to see Horus on the finish line, being greeted by Isis, Maat, and Hathor. Seth was nowhere near sight which could only mean that Horus had won and that her spouse, Seth, had lost this round.

Ra was right. Seth was definitely going to explode. Evident by the punch he threw towards his nephew during the announcing of the winner. Everyone gasped with the exception of Ra who only chuckled before returning to a straight face after Hathor turned to look at her.

"Stop!"