t h r e e

// note: Lol. I just noticed how different my writing looks from [sisters] to [family ties]. Maybe it's because [family ties] lean towards comedy a bit (I tried to be funny) and [sisters] lean into the darker and mature themes of ennead (no, it's not the bl/incest) like each character's flaws and trauma

btw, please check my other ennead book [family ties], still a reader insert but this times as Seth's daughter

--

"It's been awhile Seth."

[Name] smiled as she down on the throne beside Seth, who languidly leaned to her side, resting his chin on his hand. The two had been unable to see each other especially since Seth wasn't in the right state of mind after being intoxicated by alcohol, getting into another bloodthirsty rage.

"It definitely has been awhile, my beloved."

"I heard another competition is being held today."

"Indeed. The Caravan has presented an excellent variety of slaves to entertain us for today."

On cue, the doors below the elevated platform they were on opened and out stepped a group of women slaves, all battered and bruised. In their hands were the lowest quality of armor and weapons any man could find.

'Another fixed outcome...'

[Name] pitied the poor souls who were forcefully taken here with no regards of their will. She then turned her attention to the mortal on the other side of the arena. A young muscular man wearing a strange falcon headdress.

"I do not slay women."

'Fool. Going against a god will only bring death.'

"Why's that?"

"Because I have no need to slay helpless women."

Seth went silent, tapping his finger on the armrest of his throne. A young mortal like this...it surely has been awhile. Another dolt has come forward, a coward who refuses to kill for his own survival. Even after a few centuries, the puny humans still couldn't understand the logic of this world. You must kill to live, and obey to survive.

"Again? Ah...I told them to bring me someone ruthless. Instead, they chose to bring me another wimp. Hey, moron. If you wanted to die, you should've committed suicide. Why'd you come all the way here? Huh?"

"..."

"You're not going to answer?"

"..."

"Wow. I must seem soft these days. A mere human is ignoring me! Hey, get over there and do away with him."

[Name] watched intently as Anubis battled away with the mortal while Seth closed his eyes, seemingly bored. However, he suddenly picked up interest when the moron had cut off a portion of the demigod's ear. Seth whistled.

"My, oh my. You've got skills for a pigeon."

"I am a falcon. I don't think this is the time for you to be so laid-back."

"What...?"

"It's been awhile Seth, [Name]. Say your greeting Horus, these are your uncle Seth and aunt [Name]."

"I-Isis?! Is that really you?!"

[Name] rose from her seat immediately, as she moved forward towards her friend, suddenly noticing the dagger Isis held at Seth's throat. The goddess grew uneasy as Horus bid his greetings towards the couple. Seth laughed, his voice booming at the whole arena. He turned to his sister, the one he had cast away in a labyrinth.

"Is this some kind of prank?! Isis?! You must've been enjoying life, seeing how you've had an affair with another man and even bore his child."

"Watch your mouth. I could be the one to cut your throat, not my son."

"Oh dear. Are you trying to make me laugh right now? No...wait. You must be swinging this thing at me because you think that I'll die if you cut my throat. You're as foolish as ever, Isis."

Suddenly, a tornado made of sand swept the goddess of magic, alerting both Horus and [Name]. As the young falcon-headed demigod tried to run to his mother, Seth manipulated the sand on the arena to trip him over, crashing Horus face-first on the ground.

"What are you doing, Seth?! Stop this insolence towards your family right now!"

"Settle down and stay out of this."

Seth's vibrant red eyes shone with burning rage from underneath his headdress, frightening his spouse as she was caught in a cage of sand. A perfect metaphor for her situation. A pretty bird stuck in Seth's cage. That's what she'll only ever be to him, a replacement for Nephthys, a bird to serve simply as his companion.