29 ... the line up

my best
friends brother
29

blair

"Dad? Daddy!" Panic ran through my heart as I ran into the police station and searched around for my dad. I've gotten missed calls from him and a message saying I needed to come down to the station because it's urgent. I've been in bed all day watching tv with my phone face down on silent. I know that probably wasn't the smartest idea.

But when I finally grabbed my phone, I immediately got dressed in anything and drove to the station and as soon as I ran in, I spotted my friends sitting down. Dylan was the first person I ran up to immediately.

She looked concerned as I was breathing heavily.

"My dad? Is-Is he—"

"Your dads fine, why would you think he wasn't?" She held my arms as Arlin and Kaiden came to check on me. I sit my shaking hand on my thumping heart and lean my head on her shoulder, sighing in relief.

"And what are you wearing?" I look down at my outfit and curse. When I say I threw on anything, I didn't think I threw on my bedroom shorts and tight white beater.

My bedroom shorts were the very small shorts I loved going to bed in but I usually would take them off in the middle of the night for riding up my ass because I'm a wild sleeper. I had no time to look for something more appropriate, I thought something was wrong again.

"Here," Aiden gets up from his seat, unexpectedly taking his jacket off to give to me. I was speechless because I wasn't expecting him to speak to or acknowledge me. I take the jacket and smile gratefully.

"Thanks."

"Yeah," he avoids looking at me and sits back down.

I sigh, my hope lost again. As I slip the jacket on, Kaiden rubs my back in comfort. He gives me a look and I shake my head, silently telling him I haven't talked to him yet. I had no idea when I'd do it, but I just needed to be by myself for a while. Arlin clears his throat behind me as I felt his hands around my waist. Looking down, I see him wrapping and tying his sweater around me tight.

"You're a lifesaver," I lean against him, exhausted.

He wraps me in a warm hug, rubbing my arm as if he was warming me up. "What's going on? I got a bunch of missed calls from my dad and a message saying I needed to come down to the station quickly. I thought..." I gulp and Dylan frowns at me.

"No, he's safe, promise." I nod in more relief.

"They think they caught the guys from the bowling alley," Kaiden says sounding like he didn't want to be the one to tell me. I suck in a breath and squeeze Arlin.

"And they want me to identify them..."

"Yeah," Dylan starts. "But not just you, he called us too. I'm sorry I couldn't call or come get you, our parents drove us and I left my phone at home." I nod in understanding, squeezing her hand in reassurance.

"How am I supposed to identify them? They had masks on. I told Jalen that when he took my statement."

"He had a snake tattoo," Aiden spoke up again.