"Your Graces, may I please take a moment to speak with you both?" Ron asked.

Both the Duke and Duchess were confused but obliged and stepped into the next room with Ron following behind leaving a nervously flustered Erica to regain her breath and composure.

"I apologise for this, but Erica is a very troubled soul." Ron frowned before looking directly at the two Waisends, "Please understand that she was beyond delighted to receive the invitation, but the girl is afraid of something."

"What do you mean?" The Duke queried before his wife could.

"When she was brought to me, she was in a horrible state. One of the local farmers found her washed up on a riverbank that had flooded in a massive storm. She almost did not make it." Ron's eyes glazed over at the awful memory.

"Other than her physical injuries, I was quick to discover many other things during that time. Firstly, her fingertips were badly bruised and swollen, it was if something had been purposely shoved under each nail with great force..." Ron trailed off, his expression changing into that of anger.

"Secondly, she was mute. Clear signs indicated poison. A poison that she had been unknowingly consuming."

The Duchess gasped at this news. Her eyes widened as she let it slowly sink in.

"Who would have done something like that to her?" The Duchess let out worriedly.

"I am afraid that she has never told me." Ron responded, "But what I do know is the reasoning as to why she has declined your invitation."

"What is she afraid of?" It was the Duke who asked.

"Her family..." Ron trailed off.

"Do you think they were the ones who did this to her?" The Duchess questioned.

"It's possible."

"Who are they? It is clear that she belongs to no ordinary household." The Duke noted back on her etiquette and how she carried herself.

"I do not know, but she is definitely nobility."

"She is afraid to attend the ball in fear of encountering them..." The Duchess voiced her thoughts. Thoughts that she wished were not true.

"That seems to be the case, but please do understand, as I have mentioned before, she really does wish to attend the ball, but her fear is preventing her from doing that."

"That poor girl." In that very moment, the Duchess wanted to wrap her arms around Erica in a protective embrace never letting her go.

"It saddens me to see her like this. I want the girl to live, to regain her life back and I can see she does too, but her fear just will not let her, and I cannot guarantee that she will be safe."

There was a long silence. Before the Duke spoke up, his words strong.

"I promise on behalf of the Waisend name that I will do everything in my power to keep her out of harm's way. No one will be able to touch her as long as she remains at my Duchess's side."

Erica could hear everything from the room next door.

She had been ashamed at first as Ron revealed everything to the Waisends. She was worried about what they would think of her, but she knew that Ron had her best interests at heart and would not do anything to hurt her.

It had taken her a long time, but she now fully trusted him.

When Erica heard the Dukes words pledging to protect her, she felt a strange sense of honour and reassurance. The Waisend's were a powerful family, no one would dare mess with them.

From the brief period that she had gotten to know them, there was something about the entire family that felt very welcoming towards her. She knew it in her bones that they were good people.

With the Duke's promise, she knew that he would keep it. He was an honourable man and would not make such a promise to just anyone where he could not keep it.

Erica knew exactly what this now meant for her. She was held in high regard by the Waisends, this meant that no one could touch her without incurring the wrath of the Duchy.

This was a position that many would spend their whole lives fighting for. The Waisend Duchy was no joke. They were the second most powerful family in the kingdom for a reason.

Erica felt that she was undeserving of this, like she was not good enough.

Her negative thoughts began to cloud her mind as self-doubt began to consume her.

She felt unworthy.

"Erica. If you wish to attend the Trencent Ball, I vow that you will be under the Waisend protection." The Duke entered the room and addressed her directly while holding firm eye contact.

His Duchess stood proudly at his side.

"No matter what, we Waisends will be at your side." The Duchess added.

"Why me...?" Erica's voice came out weak.

"Because you are a gentle soul. You have been through so much and deserve it." The Duchess smiled.

Erica was silent for a while trying her hardest to fight back the tears.

"I think you should go with them Erica." Ron approached her still bearing a reassuring smile.

Erica let out a loan tear. Whether it was joy, relief or fear, to this day she did not know.

Slowly she nodded.