Chapter - 1- The waiting

[ This is a story which I started writing as a short fluffy piece but it somehow gotten big and ended up like this. Into a full blown Slibbs Romantic drama. So currently rewriting the entire story while enjoying and loving the process. Hope whoever decides to read this has a good time reading it.]

........Somewhere on a street in D.C.......

After sitting in the car for almost 4 hours straight her patience started to wear thin. She sighed in a way to show her bored state to him. But he did not pay attention to her. He stayed silent, just like he has been for the past 4 hours. And it drove her crazy.

She always admired the amount of patience he always had. But still even she couldn't understand how he could possibly go on staying silent without saying a single word for four hours straight.

But then of course he did not acquire the nickname, 'Man of few words' for nothing!!

He only spoke when it was absolutely necessary and only when he had something to say. And there was nothing to say for the past 4 hours and so as usual he stayed quietly in the driver seat of the car, sipping his coffee and occasionally checking his watch while he kept an eye on the apartment entrance.

The place they had been staking out was flickering and flashing with lights and flashes. Each and every house on that street was filled with Christmas decorations. It was around 8.30 at night but the whole street glittered like it was a broad day. But of course after all it was Christmas Eve. All the decorations and fuzz were very much expected.

But the fact that they had ended up working on a Christmas Eve made Jack a little more mad than she already was. And the sweet smell of cake and chocolates from the corner bakery and the occasional fireworks was also testing her patience.

But then she was the one who happily volunteered to go out on an all night stakeout with Gibbs on Christmas Eve. So she was the one to blame.

She knew all of this would be happening when she said yes but still she did it out of the pureness of her heart. It was after all Christmas Eve and the look on the kids face, when Gibbs announced that they would be staking out the suspect's apartment all night in case he shows up at his house, made her heart melt. She couldn't let them work, not today, they all had plans and she couldn't let them just cancel it. Not on Christmas Eve!!

This was a well earned holiday for the team but the last minute case and a possible suspect was going to blow up all their plans.

McGee had planned to spend the evening with Delilah and the in-laws. Nick was hoping to spend time with his old academy mates and Jimmy with his family and Ellie had made plans with Kaise and her other friends to go to the movies.

But still if Gibbs had asked them to stay they all would have agreed in a heartbeat, cancelling all their plans. They were all committed to their work to a fault.

But then even Gibbs didn't feel like making them work on Christmas Eve and so he agreed to go on the stakeout all alone by himself. And everyone ran off the next second, Gibbs gave them the nod and 'Get out of here' Look. But even though Jack had plans herself she couldn't run off like the rest of them leaving Gibbs all alone. No, she couldn't!!

Going out on a stakeout with him felt so much better for her than having drinks and watching a Christmas movie with her friends and family. Of Course it was!!

But at the same time she also knew that it wouldn't be easy or entertaining. That Gibbs and his regular silence and grumpy behaviour will not make the already tough stakeout any easier.