Ch 14: Maybe You'll Change Your Mind

Cont...

"Can we talk?" Owen asked, practically holding his breath for Curt's response.

"I actually have a flight to catch in a few..." Curt responded.

And he regretted it instantly as Owen's eyes fell back down into his lap. He nodded as if trying to brush it off but Curt could recognize just how forced it was. Owen needed him. And he had already admitted it so many times...

Curt checked the clock.

"But I think as long as I'm out of here within the next thirty, I'll be fine," he added, and soon enough, he was sitting beside him.

"Right. Thanks, I'll try to make it short."

"No, take your time," Curt assured him. "Seems serious."

Owen chuckled.

"Sorry. I seem to constantly be one for the dramatics, don't I?"

"Eh." Curt tilted his head to the side in agreement. "Doesn't bother me... all of the time," he joked, hoping it was appropriate.

Maybe it was.

Because finally, Owen started talking.

"It's just... Tatiana already worked this out of me today. Which means I know I can say it because I already have. And if I wait any longer, it'll only get harder. Besides, if there's anyone who should know, it's you. I mean you've already told me so much and lately I've been this steel trap of secrets-"

"You don't owe me anything, though. You know that right?"

Curt's gaze was genuine but as much as Owen appreciated it, he had to neglect the sentiment.

"I actually owe you a lot... to be fair. I owe you an equal effort in this friendship, I owe you respect and trust, and most of all I owe you a diligent partnership."

Curt shook his head.

"You're the best partner I've ever had."

"I've been slipping," Owen said. And Curt couldn't exactly deny it. Whatever Owen was holding back was eating him alive, and his work began to suffer ever so slightly because of it. Curt didn't want to imagine the type of damage it could cause down the road.

"Don't worry," Owen added. "In case you're feeling guilty, I'm doing this for me. Not you."

Curt nodded.

The silence that proceeded took Owen off guard as he realized Curt was waiting for him to begin. It was time.

He cleared his throat.

"Remember Danielle?" he asked, beginning to wring his hands.

"Of course."

"I... I lived with her. For about a year. Well it was more like a year and a couple of months but she spent a lot of that extra time in the hospital. And then... and then all of it in the hospital."

Curt was never aware of Owen's complicated living situation from the ages of eighteen to nineteen. And naturally, he had many questions as to why and how he left home. But even so, he said nothing, allowing Owen to speak. He hung onto his every word.

"That year... when we were forced together in her home- our home?" Owen asked himself before shaking the thought away as if not important. "Despite years and years of friendship, that was probably the closest we had ever become. And you know how I know?" Owen asked, waiting for Curt to respond in any way. All he did was nod, urging him to continue.