Chapter 10: Xio

Stewart without hesitation summoned the gate of glass entering the garden of glass. The feathers began squirming and falling out one by one after the feathers had all fallen off they combusted and left nothing but dust. Stewart didn't think it was a good idea to return to the alley so he set course to return to the fixed point in his Backlund house, changed his clothes and went to bed.

May 3rd Year 1349 5th Epoch , Backlund

Stewart got up in the morning and bought a newspaper and found a diner and bought some toast and tea for breakfast. As he was flipping through the newspaper he noticed there was an ad that signaled the beyonder gathering that would be happening that night. Stewart returned to the east borough this time he was looking for any traces that could be a clue to the identity of the human birds. He didn't think he could beat the birds but he wanted to know why he was being targeted and what those birds were. There was a sudden sound of magpie gurgling coming from an apartment building on the side of the road. The people around him were either too tired and didn't seem to care so Stewart slipped into the building to check what was happening. But what he saw was terrifying even for Stewart, someone who wouldn't even feel discomfort after killing someone for the first time. Everybody in the building was outside staring at a window where there was a magpie with a large burn mark on its chest. The people suddenly turned in unison and looked at Stewart. Their pupils were looking in different directions at the same time, something that a regular human should not be able to do.

Gray fur starts sprouting all over their bodies as the fur slowly grows into feathers. Stewart ignored the humans that were slowly turning into birds and rushed at the standing on the windowsill but the bird flew away. After a while the feathers on the people started shrinking back into their bodies as they fell to the ground unconscious. Stewart was just about to leave when the door to the apartment was kicked open by a short figure of about 1.5m the figure didn't speak instead opting to instantly grab and apprehend Stewart. "Wait! I mean no harm." Stewart said loudly realizing that he had found the person he was looking for.

"What have you done to these people!?" Xio said in an authoritative tone. "Ok, miss. half-arbiter. I didn't do anything to them, if anything I saved them." Stewart said with his face pressed on the ground. "I'm also a higher sequence than you so I suggest you let me go. How about we discuss this over a cup of tea." Hearing this Xio even was unconvinced knowing that the person in front of her was a beyonder and tied Stewart up and escorted him to a house that she had rented in the east borough. Stewart put up no resistance and went along with her.

Stewart told Xio about what happened yesterday, leaving out the part about the wound sprouting feathers and entering the garden. Xio was still suspicious of him, lowered her guard a little, untying him and letting him sit down in a more comfortable position. " How did you know I'm a half arbiter?" Xio asked, recalling that the man which she now knew was named Stewart called her miss. Half-Arbiter. "Well I heard that there was a person that was known as an arbitrator in the east borough so I suspected that there was an arbiter here but when you first attacked me your combat ability did not match that of an arbiter so I guessed you were a half-Arbiter." Stewart said listing out his thought process "Quite an impressive deduction." Xio praised. This exchange lighted the mood between the two and the conversation continued and ended on a happy note.

Stewart was allowed to leave by Xio. "I might have more business to talk about with her in the future." Stewart said "So may I know your address so we may stay in contact in the future?" Xio hearing this put her guard again. Seeing Xio's reaction Stewart laughed and said " If you are planning to rent this house you are using interrogation. I'll just send the mail here. Xio, hearing this, agreed and Stewart left. As Stewart went to the bank to withdraw some money he thought (I have to make interactions with these people logical so they won't be suspicious of my identity) After withdrawing 900 pounds of the 3000 or so pounds he had saved up and bought a metal mask that covered the upper half of his face and a black robe and a cold inlaid cane made of ironheart wood

Stewart waited till night and took a cab and got off two blockers away from the brave heart bar, put on his disguise and followed the path described in the book he found the door knocked on it in the pattern that the ad described and was let in a few seconds later. Stewart entered the room, found a seat, sat down and began to wait for the gathering to begin. When Mr. Eye of wisdom declared the beginning of the gathering. As people started selling their stuff Stewart noticed that neither the lady backed by an artisan or Darkwill were here. The items the people were selling didn't interest Stewart until someone was trying to sell a pair of terror demon worm eyes which Stewart recognized as a main ingredient of the arbiter potion which after being identified as real by Mr. eye of wisdom Stewart bought for 150 pounds. As the gathering was about to end Stewart offered 50 pounds to anyone who could bless the ironheart wood cane he bought with the power of a solar high priest which Mr. Eye of wisdom did with the sun brooch. After the gathering ended Stewart left first but after a while found that he was being tailed.

POLL

your choices affect the future story

1. Stewart try to lose the person tailing him

or

2. Stewart tries to capture the person tailing him