"Il distacco della placenta avviene quando la placenta si stacca dal punto in cui è attaccata all'utero. La placenta ha molti vasi sanguigni che portano le sostanze nutritive dalla madre al bambino in via di sviluppo. Se la placenta inizia a staccarsi durante la gravidanza, questi vasi sanguigni sanguinano. Più grande è l'area che si stacca, maggiore è la quantità di sanguinamento. Nel suo caso, questo potrebbe essere stato innescato dalla gravidanza multipla."- explained doctor Turrino, my wife's medical file in her hands. (Placental abruption is when the placenta pulls away from where it's attached to the uterus. The placenta has many blood vessels that bring the nutrients from the mother to the developing baby. If the placenta starts to pull away during pregnancy, these blood vessels bleed. The larger the area that pulls away, the greater the amount of bleeding. In your case, this could have been triggered because you are pregnant with multiples.) 

"È un miracolo che tu e i gemelli stiate bene perché avevi i sintomi e il distacco della placenta è incurabile, l'unico modo per tenere entrambi al sicuro sarebbe stato un parto anticipato, che nel tuo caso sarebbe stato fatale per i bambini."- stated the doctor, Cami's hand holding mine as if tomorrow is ending. (It is a miracle that you and the twins are fine because you had the symptoms and placental abruption is incurable, the only way to keep both of you safe would have been an early delivery, which in your case would have been fatal for babies.) 

"Lei sta bene, i suoi gemelli stanno bene e sono entrambi vivi. Vorrei che rimaneste in osservazione fino a quando non avremo conferma della vostra sicurezza."- said the doctor with a reassuring smile and left, giving us privacy. (You are okay, your twins are okay and both are alive. I'd like for you to stay for observation until we fully confirm your safety.)

I didn't think straight, I could not see because of the tears and I couldn't find the difference between the horror we went through and relieving reality. 

I just hugged Cami. 

I held my wife in my arms, both of us shaken up beyond any description. 

"They are okay. Our tiny babies are okay."- whispered my beloved vulnerably, kissing away my tears as I wiped hers away with my thumbs, resting my forehead against hers. 

Our children are okay, she is okay. 

Dio, it was a matter of seconds, not even minutes. If only I was just a second late, if only she didn't notice the bleeding, we could have lost our twins.

"Everything is fine, shh, it's okay. You are safe."- I whispered shakily, wrapping her in my arms, kissing the top of her pretty head dotingly, thanking all of the powers above for keeping the most important people in my life secure and well. 

Her.

After having 8 beautiful, safe pregnancies, I was sure that my 9th pregnancy will be just as good: I am very healthy, I look after myself, I follow all of the advice from my doctor and I keep myself away from things that could possibly cause even minimal harm to me or our kids. 

This is something I had no control over, something my health or age has nothing to do with, something Leo couldn't know, but it still hurts and scares us. 

I laid in his adoring embrace, our hands resting on my belly as if making sure we really are fine. His steady heartbeat took away my fright and gave me peace, promising me the protection and love that I need so much right now. 

"I am hungry."- I whispered, biting my quivering bottom lip, crying because this is not in time, tears are upsetting me, I am worried, shaken up and want to go home. 

"No need to cry, my sweetness."- said Leo with a tender smile, kissing my lips tenderly, and I sobbed more, not wanting to cry, but I cannot help myself.