Murmurs broke out like the dawn chorus of reef fishes.

"My friends and family may be surprised to hear this coming from me," Dea said over the buzz. "But I believe strength lies in acknowledging what's real and moving forward. This is my message to all of you who are pro-human. I assure you that I know where you come from. Why? Because I've been there. In fact, I was a vocal pro-human advocate. But that was before my paradigm shift. I have set up a website, where the most recent findings and video footage are freely available for public viewing—including statements from the scientists at MerTech. I invite you to peruse the material—but please be advised that it is acutely distressing."

She waited while the website address appeared on the screen. The nightmares that haunted her day and night surged up, followed by a feeling akin to simmering magma.

Dea adjusted the microphone while the voices gradually ebbed away again. "Our oceans are under attack. And we will all perish if we don't act. There's no way I can sugarcoat this.

"Serendiva is the closest human country to our atoll. They consider us a threat—an inconvenience that needs to vanish. Of course, if the oceans die, then life on land will also die—but humans still don't care. The most disturbing news of all—our intel has confirmed that they hold merpeople captive. Yes, that's right. These prisoners are doubtlessly subjected to experimentation."

The Royal Guard had to call for order when exclamations burst out, followed by a tide of emotion—ranging from shock to skepticism.

"The petitions you have signed and your tireless protests are not in vain," Dea said, her voice rising up several decibels. "I hear you loud and clear. I hear the cries of our sea cows. I hear the fading whispers of our corals. I hear the gasps of the turtles suffocating on human plastic. I hear the silent wail of the fishes that die in lethal nets. I hear the death throes of the whales as harpoons explode in their brains. This has to end now.

"I may be young in age, but don't take my inexperience for incompetence. I don't work alone. The force we have set up to tackle this monumental task is made up of the very best in the state. We have a coalition of the finest scientists, strategists, intel units and armed forces—from veterans to young visionaries.

"I solemnly pledge that we will work to confront this threat head on and bring the human government to submit to our terms. We will lead Calliathron to a better tomorrow. No longer will Serendiva terrorize our oceans—from the sunny high seas to the deepest hadal depths."

A clap cracked the stillness. It resounded off the central islet of marble.

That single action set off a chain reaction as more claps sprang forth. A fist pumped the air from the corner occupied by the Youth Council. Dea's eyes homed in on a familiar head—a pixie hairstyle with a shaved side, where a sea wave tattoo peeped through the stubble.

A nanosecond later, the atrium erupted in a tumult of applause and calls of solidarity. Fists rose into the air, and more applause emanated from the officials behind her.

The reaction kindled the fire within. Dilip Goonewardane, you will answer to your crimes. You messed with the wrong mermaid.

In her peripheral vision, she observed Hima watching from the hallway, the clenched jaw making her face more angular than ever.

Dea's hand closed over the microphone in a tight grip. "Yes, it's time. We take the fight to them. They plunder the planet and empty the seas. They mercilessly kill trillions, leaving nothing but death and destruction in their wake. They've captured our people and hold them prisoners. They're bringing about the next mass extinction. It's time for us to say enough is enough. I ask all citizens to unite. This means war."

Animal: Parrotfish