24 -《HAPPY BIRTHDAY》

"Huh, it's my birthday today..."

Rui remembered this not when he woke up, but more like in the middle of the day when he was in the middle of working on one of his inventions. Oops. It's not liked he really cared, anyway...

Ah... maybe I'll just buy myself a treat for today. It's not like I've done much in other years-

DZZT!

He picked up his phone.

Mizuki: Rui

Mizuki: Rui come to the Wonderstage

Rui: ??? Why

Rui: I thought we didn't have rehearsals today

Mizuki: just come anyway

Mizuki: there's

Mizuki: there's some costumes I want you to try

Hm, strange. Wouldn't they have let him know a few days beforehand in their excitement..?

Sighing, he stood up and pulled on a jacket. Might as well go anyway. He was pretty bored.

When he arrived at the Wonderstage, it was oddly quiet and empty.

...I thought Mizuki wanted me to come over?

He walked up to the stage. Maybe they're backstage..?

As he clambered up the stage, a realization hit him.

...OH!

Aw, he didn't want to ruin their surprise! He would just have to pretend, he supposed...

"SURPRISE!"

"Aw, you guys..!"

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RUI!"

He laughed, albeit slightly awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck.

(He had figured out their surprise on the way in, after all.)

Strung from the walls was a banner with "HAPPY BIRTHDAY RUI" written on it in rainbow marker and almost illegible handwriting. Around the room were balloons haphazardly thrown around in ugly shapes, as if the person who tried to shape them didn't actually know how to and just winged it.

(He appreciated the effort, though.)

"Rui, look!" Mizuki gestured to the table. "We even tried baking some things, take your pick! There's cookies, cupcakes..."

Saki interrupted them. "Onii-chan and I even made a cake! It's purple, to match your hair."

Rui took a closer look. The cake had purple and cyan icing on it, another happy birthday greeting written in icing on the top.

"We also invited Tsukasa and An here," Kohane said, as the two waved from behing her.

"We also got your friend childhood friend Nene!" Mizuki exclaimed, "see, look at all the guests we brought! You know, it was really hard to convince Saki to let her bring-"

"Sh, shh! He doesn't need to know that!"

While his friends bickered, Rui let himself smile.

He didn't have to spend this year's birthday alone.