Chapter 14

Weeks has passed since the ceremony, the Player of the Year award sits proudly on the shelf in the living room. Spencer was one percent on board with helping give back to the community soon because waiting until we get into the NFL, or if, is going to take too long. So, each day that passed we ponder on what we should do until the idea finally came when we were in the park playing basketball with Dillon.

It was cut short when the gang members start fill the park up. Lately, after a certain time, the park no longer belong to the kids but belong to the gang member. Parents don't even let their kids come to the park no matter what time it is now. That's when I had suggested that we take the park back. Dillon and his friends can't even play in the park without running into gangs.

The Bakers said that they would be support whatever we planned, but Spencer claimed a proud advocate who U have help with so many protest. Kia Williams.

Kia and I friendship ending surprised pretty much everybody, even me; we met in 2nd grade and been inseparable ever since. There was rarely a time that you saw her and didn't see me, she even talked me into joining chorus. She was my best friend and everything was great with us, even when she started dating Spencer, it wasn't until I started dating Tyrone and heavily using that our friendship started to fall apart.

Kia tried to help me, help me from spiraling out of control but it was too late because I too deep in at that point. When she threatened to expose my relationship to my mom and Spencer, our friendship reached a breaking point. We had a nasty argument, and that was the last time we spoken to each other. Walking past each other as if we didn't know each other, as if we weren't best friends. And soon after, I had ran away from home to be with Tyrone.

I didn't reach out after completing rehab because I had convinced myself that I should focus on my recovery, and that we were on different paths and maybe our friendship has run its course. But really, I didn't even know what to say let alone where to begin, Olivia and I both chose to just pull away from our friends who we hurt.

"Remember when we use to kick Chris and Spencer butt in freeze tag out here?" Kia laughs, pushing herself a little on the swing. "They would be so mad that they couldn't catch us to the point we just had to stop playing."

"Uh, correction," Spencer crosses his arms. "I use to kick y'all butt in freeze tag."

"Please," Kia scoffs, rolling her eyes. "Couldn't nobody catch us. Especially after Samantha joined the track team, she was off." She sighs.. "We use to have so much fun in this park."

"And now it's unrecognizable." Spencer shakes his head. "I mean, kids ain't played here since us actually. Don't nobody feel safe using it no more except gangs."

"And? What you gonna do about it?" A rough voice ask from behind us, I turn around to see Kia's uncle, Flip, walking towards us. "All right. So, you got me out here. Speak on it. What's this big plan? It better not be just to talk everybody to death."

Kia stands up and tells Spencer, "Besides, folks ain't gonna risk their safety by showing up to publicly speak out against gangs."

"Well, Sam and I thought we hold a rally and hopefully get enough signatures to get a city law passed." Spencer informs. "Like an ordinance, banning all gang members from congregating in public places." Spencer explains, Flip laugh. "Look, why is this so funny?"

"Oh, nothing, just you remember I'm a Blood, right?" Flip reminds. "So, all I heard was that you want to give the cops more ammunition to harass us. Look, little homie, I respect what you trying to do. These young thugs out here calling themselves Bloods and Crips. Ain't got no code. Nah, I'm not down with that at all. This wack-ass law making it where me and my O. G. Bloods can't come and go as we please without 5-O stopping us anytime we so much as look at a park?"