Chapter 28 - And He was a Blond

Surgery. They were performing surgery on Eda right now. But they didn't tell Luz and Hunter what exactly Eda needed it for. And Luz knew Hunter already assumed the worst.

An hour after they arrived, they approached by a doctor and Luz started to panic. This was exactly how they found out Camila died. It felt the same. Except this time, her breath didn't quicken with hope.

"Your guardian has suffered trauma to the head," the doctor explained "we don't know when she'd wake up, but we know it isn't soon"

Luz pulled King closer to her. It was an act of need of comfort

"But—where do we stay then?" Luz questioned

"There's someone here who has actually come to that solution" at that moment, a man with blond hair, tied into a ponytail, walked in, hands behind his back. Elegant, like a prick.

"Hello," he smiled. Hunter's eyes widened in pure shock and fear, "my name is Phillip" Hunter's worst nightmare. "I am Hunter's biological uncle"

"What?"

"I will be taking care of you from now on"

"Me too right?" Luz questioned in caution

"Of course" Phillip purred

"And King too?" She continued

"Apologies but I'll only be taking you two"

"So what's going to happen to King?" Luz asked the doctor

"Yeah!" King Protested

"Probably foster care, but that's just until Edalyn wakes up"

"Oh" King hung his head in a sunk of worry. For both himself and Eda. And Luz could feel the same worry. They had to be together. The the three of them. Not going to happen.

"Come along, children. We must get you settled" Luz and Hunter shares a look of worry as Luz put King on the seat she was on.

One last look at King, Luz and Hunter shared. One last look before they were with someone new yet again. Before their environments changed yet again.

Would they even be able to visit Eda? Would Phillip allow that?

There was a lot Luz wanted to ask Hunter. She never questioned him, never asked about his past because he was in the now, with her now m. So she didn't care. Now she had to know.

Phillip led the two the the parking lot, after signing some papers at the front desk. The car presented was an SUV. A beautiful one at that. Someone opened the door for them. Luz entered first, Hunter next and lastly, Phillip.

The car was structured so that Phillip and a tiny, What Luz figured, was his assistant could face them.

"Hello, children" she greeted

"Kikimora" Hunter scowled as he leaned onto the window

The tiny assistant—Kikimora ignored him, continuing her introduction, "Luz, i will be you and Hunter's...assistant" she almost barfed. Everyone but Phillip had noticed "anything you need, just call for help"

"Oh uh, thanks?"

They arrived at this big house west of the city. Luz couldn't call it a house, Hunter couldn't call it a home. The car was parked in front of the front door, next to a fountain. And a valor, after opening the door for them, had driven the car back to the garage.

"I have things to do, otherwise, I would've happily helped you settle in. But Kikimora can help you, can't you?"

Kikimora's eye twitched, "yes, master Belos"

"Splendid. See you at dinner, children" Phillip walked into the house first, no awaiting the rest. Kikimora had to hold the door for the children. Luz could already tell they weren't going to like each other very much

Kiki showed the two their rooms, Hunter first. He was not happy about his room. He slammed the door as he went in. Luz's room was fairly ginormous. Her bed was on the side, colorful sheets, there was an empty bookshelf and a couch. She wasn't happy of the circumstances, and she surely had a weird feeling about that Phillip guy, but she enjoyed the view that was her room.

"Your stuff will be here an hour" Kiki said. Luz didn't get the chance to say thank you however, as Kikimora left without another word.

Luz closed the door before advancing into the room. It was perfect. Almost like Phillip knew that she wanted some of these things in her room an hour before they arrived at the mansion. But Luz pushed those thoughts out of her head. She needed to be worrying about Eda, not coming up with theories.

- - -

Dinner was weird, to say the least. But at least Luz found out a little bit more about Phillip; Phillp Wittebane, CEO of Emperor's Initiative, a tech company who's sole goal was the betterment of mankind.

To Luz, he sort of resembled Hunter. Or Hunter resembled Phillip. Either way, the two looked alike, sat alike, even ate alike. It was king of unsettling to see.

"So, Luz" Phillip said "tell me about yourself"

"Uh, ok" Luz put down her fork, thinking of something to say "I school at Hexside. I'm actually in every track"

"Really? Impressive"

"And what about you, Hunter. You attend Hexside as well, no?" Hunter flinched when he looked up, his hands shaking as he put down his fork as well

"Well, uh yeah, I go to Hexside. I'm in the Loki and Odin track"

"Hm" Phillip shrugged and Hunter looked away. His heart panged a little, even though it didn't really hurt. It just felt familiar. And Hunter hated familiar. This type, to be specific. "Well, just do your best. But I do not accept any failure, Hunter. Especially from you"

"Yes, uncle" Luz's eye widened at the title. Her head swung to face Hunter but he paid her no view. Uncle?

"Good"

~~~

If you didn't know already, I'll be posting every Sunday. I think that's easier.
So see you next Sunday, unless you're reading my other book "A Game Of Aces" then See you on Saturday :)
Sincerely, Arthur