Police - Blonde Moments & Stealing Doritos

Start from the beginning

"Ok, is there any damage to the shop?" I ask and Murray tells the CCTV if they can track the direction the two young lads had gone in.

"No, there is no damage to the shop," The woman says.

"Is everyone in the shop, ok? No one is injured?" Murray asks.

"No, thank god," the woman says with relief.

The Radio goes and the CCTV operator speaks. "Can you ask the lady to confirm the colour of the Nike bag?"

"What colour was the nike bag and was it a backpack?" Murray asks the lady.

"Neon yellow, and yes I believe it was" the lady replies.

Murray feedback that information.

"There are two lads matching the description at the Wood Street Gardens," is the response we get back from the CCTV operator.

"We will go and have a look for them, we have a sighting off them through CCTV," I tell the lady as Murray speaks into his radio. I shut the car window and I start to drive in that direction.

"A shortcut is left just here, and just drive down George Street," Murray tells me.

"I didn't know you could go that way" I murmur, as I turn the indicator on, waiting for the car in front to go before me.

"Blonde moment. Everyone knows that. I mean everyone, not just officers," Murray sniggers.

"You are mean to me," I say as I turn the corner and I drive on.

As we end up at the public garden, the two boys matching the description are sat on one of the benches. Murray gets out first and I take the keys out and I clip them on my belt and I follow him across.

"Oi lads, come here please," Murray asks.

The two lads look up to see us approaching and they both stand up and start to run off. They aren't exactly fast, but the look of terror on their faces when they saw me and Murray was definitely the effect we were going for. We both run after them. Murray runs slightly faster than me. Guess that's the thing with being a guy.

Close by, a colleague sees the situation and he joins us in chasing. Both Murray and Adam grab one of the lads.

"Right, that was a little bit stupid, wasn't it? Why did you run off?" Murray asks as I approach.

"Was scared," one of the lads says. I take a look at the two of them. They are about 13 years old.

"We ain't done nothing," The other boy adds.

"So, my colleague has just asked to speak to you. The first thing you do is run off. Why are you running if you haven't done anything wrong?" I ask.

Both boys don't really say anything. One of the shrugs.

"What are your names?" I ask.

"You need a reason to want to know our names. Do you have a reason?" The first boy answers back, cockily.

"We have had a report from a lady at the one-stop on that you have gone in and stole some stuff from her shop. So, we do have a reason for needing to know your names. If you refuse to tell us, we will just detain you" Murray answers back with a tiny bit of cockiness.

"Harvey Green," The second boy says.

"And you?" Adam asks the other lad who he's holding.

"Noah Dixon," He says.

"Ok, where have you been today? Have you been to the one-stop?" I ask them.

"No," they both say, but they definitely don't look innocent. There are some more lads coming over and I feel there will be some kicking-off, so I decided to move us away.

"Come with us lads," Adam says and we walk across the field to the police car. Murray puts 'Harvey' in the back of the car.

"Lads, whose bag is this?" I ask, putting some gloves on.

"Harvey's" 'Noah' says straight away.

"It's not mine" It's Noah's" Harvey responds, louder.

"What's in here?" I ask.

Once again, I met with silence. Murray and Adam wait. Adam folds his arms. The two of us glance at each other, before Murray clears his throat..

"It is better you tell us the truth lads. If you have nothing to hide or have done nothing wrong, you have absolutely nothing to be worried about" He tells the lads

"Just school stuff," Harvey says.

"So, there is nothing in here that shouldn't be?" I ask.

Silence once again. I open the bag and I remove a white bag. I look in the white bag, there is just a leaking water bottle. I pop that on the floor. I go back in the bag and there are packets of Doritos and some coca-cola.

"Right, at this time boys, I am arresting you both on suspicion of shoplifting. You do not have to say anything but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence" Murray says before I get the chance.

"It's just some crisps," Noah says, like it's no issue and that we are totally overreacting.

"It's still shoplifting," Adam responds.

"I want my Mum," Harvey says.

I think the realisation they have both just been arrested has sort of dawned on him.

"We can call your Mum when we get to the police station, ok?" I ask him.

As Murray and Adam search the boys, I take a photo of the bag and search for anything else. They weren't exactly lying, there are definitely a lot of school things in here. Murray puts one of them in some lovely bracelets and in the back of our police car as another car arrives.

"Are we taking them down to Osborne?" One of the other officers asked who has the other lad in their car.

"Yeah, it's only 10 minutes away isn't it?" I ask.

"Less than 10 minutes," Murray corrects, "she's having a blonde day, don't mind her"

"Charity-Amelia always has a blonde day," Adam pipes in and I stare at him.

"No one asked for your opinion," I responded.

"I gave it anyway" He shoots back.

I roll my eyes and the other two officers laugh. Murray gets in the car and I drive us to the station. The lad is silent the whole ride. The only noise in the car is the sound of the engine and Murray speaking into the radio.