Primary School Teacher (Charity-Amelia) - Adding Money & Gentle Reminder

Authors Note - Hey all, I thought I would do something career related, that I can relate to (I work in a school so this felt like something I really was able to write 😂 Its a little preview I wanted to pop on

Summary - Charity starts off her maths lesson but has a little conflict to deal with

Word Count - 651

"And when you have your whiteboards, pens and rubbers, I want to see eyes on me, listening ears on and hands on table" I tell my class of 7 and 8 year olds, I watch them all, do as they have told, but one child is going up to another child trying ...

"And when you have your whiteboards, pens and rubbers, I want to see eyes on me, listening ears on and hands on table" I tell my class of 7 and 8 year olds, I watch them all, do as they have told, but one child is going up to another child trying to hit them.

"Luke, no thank you, that was not a part of your instruction" I tell the boy, and he looks at me, before sheepishly going back to his desk.

"Let me see which table is ready first" I say, to give them a prompt to show me they are ready, I walk forward. "I can see that the dolphin team is ready, I can see that the octopus team is ready, who else can I see is ready" I say, prompting the other 3 groups of children to show me they are ready. Slowly, the other 3 tables do as they have been asked.

"That was a close one between the dolphin team and the octopus team, I think I will give one team point to each team" I say as I walk over to the board and I pick up a whiteboard pen, putting a point by each of the team names. I then go to my interactive whiteboard and put it on.

"As a starter activity today, we are going to use coins to make up a total of money" I say, and I go to the first question. "How can I make 12p? I am going to give you a minute, write it on your whiteboards" I say and as the children do it, I walk around, looking over their shoulders, one of the children is using 10p and 2p, I see pretty much that from most students. As I come back to the front of the classroom.

"Ok, 3... 2.... 1.... Show me" I say and the children all hold their boards up. I grab a pen for my interactive whiteboard, I write down 10p + 2p, "So I have 10p + 2p, I have 5p + 5p + 2p, I have 10p + 1p + 1p, very good, well done" I say and I go to the next question.

"How can I make 25p? You have a minute" I say and I watch the children, they all are doing as they are meant to be. My eyes are drawn to one of my girls Harriet (who is quite difficult with behaviours and being sly) dramatically telling a boy she's telling on him.

"Miss Middleton, Tyler put his middle finger up at me" One of the girls shouts, pointing accusingly at one of her classmates.

"I didn't" The boy argues, and looks at me, I raise an eyebrow.

"I hope we did not put the middle finger up" I say firmly and he looks at me.

"No Miss Middleton, I didn't" he says.

"You so did!" Harriet shouts.

"Harriet, that is enough" I warn her as I walk over, I bend down so I am eye level with the two of them. "Now, I sadly did not see what happened, but Tyler, you know we don't put the middle finger up at school, I am not saying you did or didn't, I am just reminding you, ok?" I say softly and he nods.

"Yes, Miss Middleton" He says and I smile.

"Harriet, as I have just, I didn't see what happened. But, we don't shout out, we put our hand up and we don't yell at our friends do we?" I ask her and she shakes her head, and looks down.

"I am sorry, Miss Middleton" she says and I smile, I look at what shes got on her board.

"Remember, we are trying to make 25p, so we don't need 50p" I say.

"What about 10p, and 3 5p's?" she asks.

"Put it down on your whiteboard" I say and I stand up, to continue teaching the lesson.