3.26 | Breaking Cycle

Začít od začátku

"I'll do you one better." He stood up, "I'll take you to him."

. . . ∞ . ∞ . ∞ . ∞. . .

"Khushi, hi!" Payal stood from her cubicle to greet me with a hug. Friendly and full of warmth. The concern in her eyes was clear as she asked, "How are you holding up?"

"Working on it." I answered truthfully before adding, least I get dragged into a conversation I can't carry on right now. Somehow, the drive over helped push my panic attack aside, but there's still just one thing I'd like right now. "Listen, it's good to see you, but I really need to see Arnav and just get away from everything. I hope you understand."

"Yes. Yes, of course." She squeezed my hands in assurance, and I knew. She didn't take offense and understood what I needed. Working at Irani House now, I did miss her daily presence. Add it to the list of things I needed to work on improving. Outside of the friends I basically lived with, I needed to remember to keep up with my other friends. Payal most definitely being one of them. "We'll catch up later. Take care."

"You too." I smiled before heading to the elevators.

Reaching Arnav's office, his door wide open, I took a small step in. At the shadow, he turned his chair about to face the doorway. He did a double-take at my unexpected presence before he was up on his feet and walking towards me. I met him halfway. Holding out my arms and wrapping it around his body, resting my head on his chest. It felt natural.

As his arms tugged me closer, one hand at the back of my head and the other around my shoulder, I closed my eyes and allowed the tension to leave my shoulders. I didn't need to tell him anything as he held me for as long as I needed. He quietly asked, "Why didn't you call me?"

"Sam drove," I informed while loosening my arms from his body to lean back and gaze up at him. "Can we get out of here? Go somewhere. Anywhere."

His fingers brushed against my cheek. "I know just the place."

. . . ∞ . ∞ . ∞ . ∞. . .

"Oh, wow." I expressed my surprise seeing the exterior structure in front of us after Arnav parked the car. "I know you'd said they'd made significant headway, but I didn't think it was already built."

Arnav took my hand, leading me towards our home. "It's almost ready for us to move in. Not just yet though. Come on, you'll see."

Still at awe with the progress, I questioned, "Doesn't it usually take a while to get the permissions and everything? It's only been like 2 months. If that."

"Helps when you hire an effective team."

I teased as he led me through the doorway. "I know you're an honest businessman, but gotta ask. You didn't bribe any government officials and all, right? Need to know if either of us are going to face potential jail time."

He abruptly picked me up, putting me over his shoulder in revenge.

I squealed at suddenly being off my feet, fisting and hitting his back. "Raizada! Put me down, damn it. Don't be a brute."

He pinched my side but did put me down, letting me lean back against a wall that wasn't plastered yet. With one hand on the wall by my head, he leaned in to kiss me before resting his forehead against mine. "You haven't called me Raizada in a while."

"I'm sure that's not true." His personality is bound to do things that unknowingly annoy me.

"And about your other comment, the only one going to jail anytime soon is the one who's had it coming for long."