~

Dawn was near. Still, I had no food.

I plop down onto the cold, snow-covered ground. The cloak provided a small amount of warmth; this I was thankful for. I chuckle hopelessly and lean against a tree trunk.

"The legend... It says that strays were once normal skeletons that... t-that were trapped in an unforgiving biome of ice and snow." I glance down at my frost-colored bones. "Is this what my destiny is? To become a stray?"

"This cloak... According to legend, strays wear cloaks just like this one. I..."

My whole body felt numb. I ran away all for nothing. My family probably found a way out of this biome. I should've just stayed with them. I shouldn't have left alone.

"Alone," my voice cracks slightly as I hold in my tears. I close my eyes and lean against the tree trunk, hoping that I can lull myself to sleep.

~

I awoke to the sound of a growl. The sun was starting to set by now.

"H-Huh?" I force myself to stand as I scan my surroundings. There's something nearby. I can feel it. I don't have any weapons on me. I was never taught how to craft them, so I used what I was given. My last sword broke months ago.

"H-Hello?" I call out, "Anyone there?"

I hear footsteps. I frantically look around. Nothing.

Another growl. A small shadow comes into view. My eyes widen when I notice the shape of the shadow.

A wolf.

But how could this be? Nothing could live in this unforgiving biome of ice and snow. I haven't seen a wolf in years.

The wolf bares its teeth and starts to charge. Finally coming to my senses, I start to run. Luckily for me, the sun had completely set. I didn't have to worry about burning alive.

I kept running and running. The wolf was hot on my trail, determined to catch me.

I take a quick glance through my inventory. A bow. It was almost completely used, a red bar indicating that it would break the next time it was used. I also had a couple of arrows on me.

I pull out my weapon and shakily load an arrow, stopping in my tracks for a moment to aim. My hands shook as I pulled the arrow back.

If I miss, it's over for me. This shot most likely won't kill the wolf, but it might scare it off.

The wolf was a few feet away from me by now, and it was ready to pounce on me like fresh prey.

I release the arrow and hope for the best. My eyes flutter shut. I'm going to die, aren't I? My abysmal aiming can't save me.

Moments passed. I wasn't dead, not yet. I open a single eye cautiously. The wolf was gone.

The bow disappears from my hand. Who knew this old bow would end up saving my life?

Suddenly, I felt something. Something that I haven't felt for over two years.

Warmth.

I stood on a soft bed of luscious green grass. A warm breeze swept past my shoulders.

"I-Impossible...," I whisper.

There was life all around me. Cows, pigs, chickens, and even a few parrots. There wasn't a flake of snow in sight.

"I... This is..." I was flabbergasted. I didn't expect the sudden change in temperature, let alone the complete biome change.

I snap out of it when I hear voices.

"...I'm telling you, Zombie. Herobrine assigned an impossible assignment!"

"Yeah, seriously. I can't believe he wants us to find diamonds in one night."

"Ridiculous."

The voices were starting to get closer. I hop behind a tall tree, hoping I won't be spotted. I just escaped that cruel world. I can't die just yet-!

"D-Did you just see that?!" A voice exclaims, "I saw something move behind that tree!"

Shoot.

"I'm sure it's just your imagination, Zombie."

"No, Enderman, I'm serious! Creeper, tell me you saw that!"

"No...?"

"I swear, I saw something move!"

A sigh. "I'll check it out. C'mon, Creeper."

My hands tighten on the cloth of my cloak. I've got nothing to fight with. My weapons are all gone. I don't even have a single arrow left. My inventory is completely empty.

I yelp when a tall, purple-eyed mob and myself lock eyes. I didn't recognize this mob.

Next to it was a creeper.

"...Wow, Zombie was right."

"Did you guys find anything?" A voice says. A zombie came into view.

"Yeah, it's a skeleton. Though, I've never seen one that looks like this..."

"H-Hey there," the zombie says. I stare at it, dumbfounded. What am I supposed to say?

"I-Is this guy hostile?" The zombie whispers to the tall mob, cowering behind it. The mob narrows its eyes. "Get Herobrine. I'm not sure."

I decide to run while I still can, sprinting as fast as I can away from the three mobs.

"Hey!" The creeper shouts, "Get back here!"

I continue running, pushing past brambles. I hear a small poof sound behind me.

The tall mob stood a few feet away from me. "Don't move." I halt in my steps, fearful to look behind me.

"Here it is, Herobrine! That's the skeleton I was talking about..."

"Stay put, students," A new voice says. Another poof was heard, and a tall human appeared before me. I start to backpedal. They just keep on coming!

"Hello there," the human says, "Do not be afraid."

"D-Don't... Don't attack me... P-Please, I don't have any weapons-!"

"My intention is not to hurt you." I pause for a moment and look into its eyes. They were blank.

"T-Then... Why were you following me?!" I exclaim, my grip loosening from the hem of my cloak. The human chuckles. "My students were worried that you were some kind of threat."

"T-Threat?"

He chuckles. "Students, this mob isn't hostile. I believe this is a stray."

"What's a stray?" The zombie asks.

"A stray is a light-blue boned skeleton that usually resides in snowy biomes. I'm surprised to see one so close to town."

A stray? Is that what I've really turned into?

"Are you lost?" The human asks. I nod slightly and sigh. "Yes and no. I don't exactly have a home to return to anymore, but I don't exactly know where I am either."

"Maybe he can join Monster School!" The creeper exclaims. A few murmurs of agreement.

"Do you wish to join us?" The human asks, extending his hand, "We do have room for another student."

"I..." What should I say? Should I trust these mobs? Should I trust this human?

What do I even have to lose, I guess...

"S-Sure."

"Great! Follow me, young stray. I have a lot of things to show you."

~

A/n: Unedited chapter, expect grammatical errors.