Chapter 21 - The Next Lady of Autumn

Start from the beginning

"To support her, or to spy on us as we court?" Lucien fired his words toward Rhys, noticeably emphasizing the word 'spy.'

"I doubt our presence would ruin your 'courting," Azriel spat toward Lucien, mock quoting the word, as his face drew into an arrogant sneer. "You had an entire month alone with her and you've yet to—"

"Who stays is up to Elain." Rhys interrupted his Spymaster with a severe glare, sending out another wave of night, clearly attempting to intimidate the males and get the meeting back on track. "This is about what's best for Elain." he added quietly, returning to his seat, hands pressing into his temples.

Lucien nodded darkly before casting another look of hatred toward Azriel, storming out of the study, his footsteps reverberating down the corridor.

Rhys shook his head, running his hand over his lids with a sigh as Cassian flopped into a nearby sofa seat. "Jeez. Patras is getting more dramatic than Velaris by the minute."

Feyre strode toward one of the arched openings overlooking a vineyard, resting her hand on the column, her face angling toward Azriel. "Maybe Velaris had more drama than we realized." She whispered as Azriel looked away from his High Lady, his face a mask of indifference.

"So is she really going to keep courting that idiot? He seems to have more of Beron in him than I expected." Cassian whistled, a look of worry cresting his forehead as he leaned back, clasping his hands behind his head.

Azriel noticed Rhys' eyes shoot to the back of Feyre's head, his High Lady becoming unearthly still as her mate replied to Cassian. "If she wants to. I mean, what happened is unfortunate. But it's also an unlatched mating bond. It can be difficult to control the rage when you see another male with your mate. Particularly one who—" Rhys' voice dropped off, his eyes drawn toward Azriel's mask of indifference.

"I get it." Cassian drawled from his seat, releasing his clasped hands and pulling his ankle onto his other knee. "I mean, if I saw a male like Az holding Nes like that, back before she had accepted our bond... I probably would have flattened Velaris." Azriel couldn't help but smile, Cassian's jovial attitude never failing to release the tension.

"But you didn't Cassian." Feyre's cold voice rang through the room, bouncing off the ceiling, her eyes turned toward the General. "You didn't flatten Velaris. Nesta was with plenty of males before your bond."

Cassian winced, suddenly fascinated by his fingerprints as Feyre continued, "I mean... sorry to bring that up. But you know what I mean. I don't know how I feel about Lucien's territorial attitude with her. And just because we had success in our bonds, doesn't mean..."

"I get what you're saying Fey, but none of those pricks Nesta spent time with ever looked at her the way we all know Az looks at Elain." Feyre's eyes widened, turning to her Spymaster. "I bet if Helion had rescued Elain, Lucien wouldn't have acted like that. It's different. " Cassian finished, tossing a smirk toward Azriel.

Feyre had paused her pacing, shock creasing her forehead as she gazed at Azriel, a hundred questions seemingly formed on her lips. "They have a thing." Cassian remarked by way of explanation as Rhys groaned, standing from his desk.

"Then, will there be a Blood Duel? Does she want to be with— I had no idea!" Feyre's voice reverberated over the study as she gaped at Azriel before murmuring to herself, turning to the exterior archway, "well I guess there was the headache tonic... and Truth Teller..." her voice evaporated as her eyes traced the ceiling, stroking her jaw in concentrated thought.

Turning to face his family, Azriel's voice was dark. "Elain wants no duel. She wants to keep courting Lucien."

"She told you that?" Rhys' voice was laced with confusion and concern, either for his sister-in-law or possibly for his brother... perhaps both.