46- Investigation

Start from the beginning

"Why did you ask Aurora to be your bridesmaid?"

"Why're you asking me all these questions?" Joanna hissed under her breath, shaking her head, "The wedding was a year ago." Technically, six months but it must have felt like a year to both of them. Their life after the wedding was hell.

"How many friends did you ask to be your bridesmaid exactly, Joanna?"

"Ralph, I really don't think—"

"Nine, correct?" He cut her off and if it was possible, her face grew even paler than before, "And if you count Aurora, then that's ten."

I watched as she gulped slowly, looking like she was considering the extra cost of her lies.

Ralph shrugged, rubbing his chin.

"But you only ordered nine bridesmaid dresses. Why?"

"Well, Cruz told me—"

"Did you have another dress prepare for Aurora?" From the look on her face, it showed that he had her cornered, "Or you just knew she wasn't going to be there. Therefore, an extra dress would be unnecessary."

Speechless she was.

Joanna must have thought her plan was flawless. But it wasn't. It would have been, if it wasn't for Zayn's speculation, Rafael whose keen eyes recognized the handwriting on his divorce paper to be strangely similar to the handwriting on the letter Aurora had left us. I guessed when some people were meant to be, not a thing could have stopped them from finding their way back to one another. Aurora belonged to us, and fate was finally on our side today.

I was expecting tears. Disappointment, or even a sad glow in Joanna's eyes. But then the reaction we got, by far, was the most unexpected turn of events of today.

"She fucking touched what's mine." Joanna exclaimed with an angry scowl, venom dripping from her tone.

My heart dropped into my stomach.

No fucking way.

"I told you, Ralph. I told you I would not give up on us." She snarled. Each word she uttered felt like acid pouring into ears.

"What the hell did you do?!" Ralph growled before he rose abruptly from chair and if it wasn't for Zayn who stepped in just right in time, the damage he might have caused could be incalculable.

"Tell me!" Ralph demanded, "What the hell have you done to my woman, Joanna?!"

While Zayn was holding him back, allowing Joanna enough room to breath, she then bluffed some more.

"Your woman?" She taunted him back and I had to fight back the urge to grab my gun out and shoot her, "You fucking bastard! I knew you have been seeing her behind my back!"

My eyes darted back and forth between the two. I was too shocked, too angry to utter a word.

"I'm not stupid, Rafael. Not anymore." Joanna sneered, "The first time I trusted you. Well, I fucking shouldn't have!"

"Where's Aurora, Joanna?" Zayn asked, calmly as he put himself in between them. I knew deep down he was trying his best to keep his temper to himself but the way he was glaring at her. His eyes; they weren't any less deadly than Ralph's.

"Heaven?" My heart clenched tightly when Joanna threw her head back, laughing like a maniac, "Or hell? Who knows."

I looked over at Zayn. What-the-fuck-is-going-on was written all over his face.