Chapter 2

-Morgan-

"Morgan! We gotta go!" yelled my dad from downstairs. I rolled my eyes and jumped off my plush bed, looking at myself in the mirror.

I had my white and orange jumpsuit on with the number '56' on the back for my dad's car. It was his big race today, to qualify for the championships and it was a huge deal. I was so excited to watch him race. It's not like I hadn't seen him before but this one time was going to be really special.

I grinned at myself and ran downstairs to see my dad in a similar jumpsuit and his helmet in his hands. My mum was stood next to him with a huge smile on her face, one arm holding a large bag and the other around my dad's waist. I smiled at them both.

"You ready to go, kiddo?" he asked and I nodded and we headed out of the door.

The race track wasn't very far away so we walked there, talking about what might happen and how he was going to win and qualify. The sun was shining down but it wasn't hot, it was just the right temperature, keeping a breeze.

As we were nearing the track I heard a lot of chanting, I looked up at my dad and he grinned back down at me, he bent down to my height and we started talking,

"I need to go in there now, you and your mum go to the stands, ok?" he smiled

"I want to come with you" I shook my head furiously, "To your car"

"Smorg," he shook his head, "You're only 9 and you know as well as I do that you can't go into the pits until you're at least 13"

"Please dad!" I begged but he shook his head

"No can do, bud" he sighed, "But I'll see you later when the race is over?"

I nodded and he raised his hand and we high-fived, making him grin as he picked me up and held me on his hip as he said goodbye to mum. I'm quite small for a 9-year-old but mum says I'm just right. She says I'm pint-sized. Sometimes she even calls me half-pint but I don't like that as much as smorg, which is what dad calls me.

He kissed my mum goodbye and kissed me on the cheek as I hugged him and he was just about to put me down again when he turned to look at me.

"I'll see you later" he smiled

"Do you pinkie swear?" I asked him and he nodded, sticking out his finger as we locked them together. I smiled back and he put me on the floor.

Mum took my hand we took a left, to the stands, while dad took a right, to the pits.

We found a seat quite high up and we could see everything. I could just about spot dad next to his car, talking to his team manager and I pointed him out to mum. She talked to me for a while about school and things, I don't like school very much though so our talk was very small.

"I want to race, like dad" I told her and she smiled with pride at me. She was about to say something when we heard the engines and I looked over at the track, excitedly.

I could see my dad's dark car. It seemed to camouflage into the track almost. He always said it was a good thing because when he's coming up behind another car they don't notice him until it's too late. I asked if that was cheating, he said it's not cheating unless it's in the handbook.

I checked.

It isn't.

The cars revved their engines as somebody at the side of the track waved a big flag in the air. This was always my favourite part. I heard the person yell something as the crowd went silent and all we could hear was the sound of the engines. Suddenly the flag was down and the cars were off the mark quickly.