Chapter 16 - bad luck

Start from the beginning

"I think we need to go to the hospital," I say quietly and she looks at me as if I've just robbed her of all the happiness in the world. "No, please not again," she pleads.

"Babe, if something is broken, we need to get it checked out," I explain to her and I know she knows I'm right. But I also know she's tired, cold, uncomfortable and she's in pain and just wants to go home. But there is no way around it.

"We still have to go to the fans for a bit," she says meekly and I actually want to contradict her, but I also know that she won't let me talk her out of it and decide that the minutes won't matter now.

Nevertheless, I protectively put my arm around her waist and lead her out of the airport doors, whereupon the screams of the waiting fans get louder and louder. They are also shouting Little Mix in chorus, but it is mainly the shouts for Jerrie that reach my ears, which brings a smile to my lips.

Jesy and Leigh walk off the waiting fans alone, while Jade and I stay close together so I can keep an eye on her. We sign autographs, take selfies and hug a few before thanking everyone for coming and getting into the waiting car.

"God, my hand is killing me," Jade says as soon as we close the doors, which surprises me. Normally she wouldn't say anything like that. So she really is getting worse.

"So off to the hospital," Leigh says quietly.

"You two can actually go home though. It's been a long day and we have to get up early tomorrow, I'm looking after Jade here," I say.

"You can go home too," Jade whispers to me, but I stare at her, aghast.

"There's no way I'm letting you go there alone," I say immediately.

"And we're coming too!", Jesy vehemently counters, and her tone alone makes it clear that she will not be argued with. So we are, once again, on our way to the hospital.

"Miss Thirlwall, you have a metacarpal fracture," the doctor announces as we've been here for ages waiting in vain.

"A what?", I immediately enquire.

"She broke her hand," he explains and I tear my eyes open in shock.

"Don't worry, it's more harmless than it sounds. We don't have to do surgery, that's very good. You just need to wear a cast for four to six weeks to give your hand the rest it needs and then everything should be fine," he says calmly and I breathe a sigh of relief but a glance at Jade makes me gulp again.

She's been miserable the whole time we've been waiting. She is tired anyway, exhausted, sick. A broken bone on top of that brings her to the brink of despair. She's given up talking for a while now as she can't even really keep her eyes open. I don't even remember  when she last slept.

We had a good time in the waiting area first. The fans were once again particularly quick to share our arrival in London with the world, much to Jade's displeasure. Every picture she was in she hated. Every selfie she hated. And I can even understand her. Even though she is the most beautiful person in the world to me, the pictures are less favourable. Added to her sickly appearance were the tear-stained cheeks that everyone noticed. And, of course, there was an immediate hail of theories and outcries, all involving the same question: What's wrong with Jade?