Chapter 20 | Aram

Start from the beginning

You'll see her later today, I reassure myself. You can wait.

I ignore the longing I feel and park alongside the curb closest to Sparrow Hall. Shutting my eyes, I lean against the headrest and allow visions of long, onyx waves and soft pink lips flood my mind. What would it feel like to taste those angel lips and run my hands over the slight curve of her waist? What would it feel like to get lost in her embrace? There is so much of her that I want to see, touch and feel... what would it be like to fall asleep next to her, and wake up beside her?

I don't know the first thing about being a good lover. Hell -- I barely know how to be good enough, especially good enough for Cassie. And this terrifies me more than I'd ever dare to admit. But Cassie Yang is a black hole of desire, and I am quickly burning up in her gravitational pull.

My eyes snap open at the sound of a slamming door, my heartbeat unnervingly fast.

"Wake up, sleepyhead!"

Arielle chirps happily as she flounces into the passenger seat. I clear my throat and will the impure thoughts of Cassie to vanish.

"Hey," I greet my sister, who watches me with a funny smile.

"I wish you'd let me meet her," she pouts. "When are you going to bring her back for dinner?"

"Soon," I smile, shifting the car into drive. "I hope."

"How long has it been?" Arielle asks as we drive away from campus. Her eyes dance with sparkling curiosity.

"One month tomorrow," I reply without hesitation.

"What are you doing to celebrate?" my sister squeals. "You should take her out for dinner! Or better yet, what are her favorite flowers? Girls love flowers--"

"Cassie is not that kind of girl," I snort. "She's not materialistic or high maintenance. In fact, she's not like most girls. She's simple, classic, and intelligent... and besides, I've already prepared something for her."

"O-kay then, what exactly have you planned?"

"If you must know, I've written her a love letter."

Arielle gapes at me. "Since when you the romantic type? And Isn't that a bit intense for the first month?"

"I don't see how," I shrug. "I wrote from the heart, how I feel. And no offense, but you wouldn't understand. But when I'm with her, I feel like a completely new person. From the moment she's stepped into my life, nothing has felt the same. I'd write her hundreds of letters if it would capture the way she makes me feel. But even then, I don't think I'd be able to fully express it all..."

I let the words trail off, and Arielle sits back into her seat and shakes her head.

"Unbelievable. Who are you right now? Where is the grumpy old man that I used to call my brother?"

"Like I said," I chuckle, "nothing feels the same anymore."

"You really like her, huh?" Arielle studies me.

"Yeah," I nod. "I really, really like her."

The sun begins to peek out from behind glacial gray clouds as we near the church. After a minute or two of silence, Arielle speaks up again.

"It's... nice to be going to church together," she says. "I've missed this side of you. You know, going to church as a family means a lot to Mom and Dad. Especially Mom."

"I know," I mumble after a beat.

"What made you change your mind all the sudden?" Arielle chuckles. "Just a few months ago you were so unsure... did you figure it out?"