Chapter 9 | Cassie

September 30th, 2005

"Can you believe we've been here for an entire month already?" Sabrina exclaims, digging into her blueberry muffin. "Feels much longer than that."

"Technically, it's been more than a month if you include move-in days," I amend, scooping a bite of vegetable quiche into my mouth.

Sabrina ignores me and takes a sip of tea. The Pelican is unusually abuzz this Friday morning with the chatter and clatter of students and silverware. She and I huddle in a booth by the window together, eating breakfast.

"Physics isn't as bad as I thought it would be," she remarks. "Don't get me wrong – it's a damn hard subject but I think I've gotten a study routine down. And French is going well, too! I'm considering studying abroad in the winter."

"Oh? Where?" I ask sleepily between sips of burnt dining hall coffee. I keep my gaze towards the entrance, wondering if I'll spot a familiar baseball cap.

"Somewhere hot, of course. Guadeloupe, or maybe... Martinique?"

"Sounds fun. I'll probably stick around during winter session too, and knock some class requirements out of the way," I say mildly. He isn't here today. Probably at practice.

"You are the last person on earth who needs more classes!" she laughs. "You should study abroad with me!"

"Except I don't speak French," I remind her casually.

A clattering sound interrupts our conversation as Ranjit's tall shadow looms over our table.

"Good morning," I say brightly.

He drops heavily into the seat across from me with a groan. There are dark circles under his eyes. A lone bagel slides off his plate and his coffee sloshes in its mug. 

"Ugh." He presses his palms against his temples and grunts.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"My roommate's girlfriend came over last night," he grunts, tearing off a piece of his bagel and popping it into his mouth.

"And?"

"And she stayed."

Sabrina pats Ranjit's hand empathetically and sighs.

"You poor thing," she clucks.

"What's wrong with that?" I fork another mouthful.

"Really?" Ranjit says, watching me. He and Sabrina exchange a strange look with each other, having a secret conversation in front of me that I don't understand.

"Do we have to spell it out for you, Cass?" he asks. 

"Spell what out?"

"SEX," he says, looking amused. "She and Jordan were having sex. Lots of it. Going at it like rabbits for hours. I slept in the lounge last night. And those couches are the fucking worst."

"O-oh," I stammer, feeling my face heat up.

I'd heard some stories of what to expect in college regarding the hookup scene, but my sex education is limited to high school gossip and cliched rom coms. It certainly wasn't a topic Ma and Ba ever openly discussed. Overall, sex is not something I know much about. In fact, I'd never even been kissed.

"Yeah," Ranjit snorts. He takes a few gulps of coffee and pulls a face. "This shit is burnt."

I laugh awkwardly, trying to hide my embarrassment.

"Hey, don't be nervous," Ranjit cocks an eyebrow playfully at me and I nearly choke. Is he reading my mind right now? Is my lack of sexual experience that obvious?