16. Princess Janine

The seniors were in awe when they entered the common room of the senior facility. It was elegantly decorated to look like a room in a castle. The food on the buffet was typical of a Filipino birthday party complete with pinwheel sandwiches, hotdogs with marshmallows on sticks poked into a cabbage (and banana trunk), ice cream in individual cups, and the ever-present spaghetti.

Once everyone was settled in their seats, with balloons tied to each chair, Miguel appeared at the front of the room. "Good after everyone! Thank you all for coming to Princess Janine's royal birthday party!" Miguel said to greet the guests. "To start the celebration, we have prepared an activity for everyone to do." Miguel added. "On each table are some materials. Please feel free to use these to make your own crown or tiara. The best designs will win prizes!"

The guests excitedly began creating their own crowns and tiaras. Aside from this activity, there were also a few games that kept the guests entertained. Everyone was happy to get a little prize from the games that were played. Janine, dressed in a simple yellow blouse and slacks, joined and enjoyed the games as well. Everyone appreciated the delicious food as well.

"Akala ko princess party to? Bakit ganyan ang suot mo?" Miguel asked Janine.

"Eh bakit ikaw? Sabi mo mag-h-host ka in costume." Janine said.

"Mamaya ako magbibihis. It says here I have a short break after eating before the program. Anong mangyayari sa program?" Miguel said, showing his script to Janine.

Janine glanced at Miguel after reading the script. "Surprise..." Janine said with a smile. Miguel had more questions but some of the guests called for Janine.

"Ngayon pa lang ata kami nagka-ganito sa tagal ko nang director ng senior facilities." Miss MaryAnn said. She and her team of staff workers participated in the more 'strenuous' games like relay races and musical chairs.

Both Miguel and Janine slipped out of the venue to change after grabbing a quick bite. "Chef, ready na po si Ms. Janine." Nina whispered to Miguel from behind. "I-announce nyo lang po na nandito na si Princess Janine..." Nina added. Slightly anxious with what would happen next, Miguel glanced at his staff who worked as servers at the party. He was surprised to see Nina dressed in a gown and the servers looked spiffy in their bowties, gloves, and crowns!

Miguel cleared his throat and announced, "Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please. May I request you to all wear the crowns and tiaras you made earlier." The lively music faded out and was replaced by royal fanfare music to signify Janine's entrance. "Please stand and direct your attention to the doors." Miguel continued. When the doors opened, Janine walked in dressed in a yellow princess gown. Like the guests, Miguel was surprised at how Janine beautifully transformed into a "Princess". He approached her as soon as she reached the front of the room and said, "May I have this dance?" He stuttered and tried to steady his shaking hands.

Janine nodded and Miguel slowly spun her around the dance floor. After a few minutes, Janine took the mic and said, "Mga Lolo, chance nyo na po isayaw sina Lola..." One by one, the elderly men came up to the ladies and asked them to dance. Even the ones in wheelchairs or walkers joined in. The music started with elegant ballroom music, then shifted to more upbeat tunes. Soon, everyone in the room, seniors, facility staff, and catering staff were all dancing. Everyone had a great time.