15. surprise

"Miguel?" Janine walked past a small restaurant on the side of the road and saw a familiar figure sitting at the bar with his back to the door. It was the Friday before her party and the same evening Patricia said they'd go out and meet people. Unfortunately, Janine received a message from Patricia that the dinner was cancelled while Janine was on her way to where they were going to meet up.

"Sorry talaga."

"Sus! No problem. Update me, okay?" Janine replied. Patricia's Lola had suffered a stroke that afternoon. She and her parents were on their way to the province as soon as they received the news.

Janine thought of where to go. "Sayang naman yung pamasahe ko papunta dito."

---

"Pao, ikaw na muna bahala dito. Nina, make sure na ready na ang lahat for tomorrow, okay?" Miguel spoke to his staff at the meeting they had before they opened for dinner service.

"Yes, Chef." Nina and Pao replied in unison. They adjourned the meeting and Miguel picked up his things and walked to the door.

"Siguradong sasagutin kayo ni Ms. Janine pagkatapos nito." Nina said. Miguel just smiled and left the restaurant.

"Nanliligaw na ba si Chef?" Pao asked as they observed Miguel walk from the restaurant to the bus stop nearby.

"Hindi pa ata. Kakakakilala lang nila diba?" Meng added.

"Sa totoo lang, ngayon ko lang nakitang ganito kasaya si Chef." Alden added.

"Oo nga." The staff agreed.

"First time kong na-experience yung galit na galit sya nung sabing nawawala yung Lola nya." Pao said.

"Oo. Katakot yun." Nina recalled that day when Miguel's voice boomed and echoed throughout the kitchen.

"Pero, after nyang makilala si Ms. Janine, iba na." Pao said.

"Napansin nyo rin ba?" Alden asked.

"Ang alin?" Nina replied.

"Namumula ng husto yung tenga ni Chef kapag andito si Ms. Janine." Alden added.

"In love?" Meng asked.

"Baka. Nagka-girlfriend na ba si Chef?" Carla, a waitress, asked.

"Parang wala pa." Nina said.

"Eh si..sino nga ba yun? Yung pumunta dito na maingay at mayabang? Yung kala mo kung sinong mayaman?" Meng recalled.

"Ah, si Precious at yung Nanay nyang si Mrs. Potenciano. Sya ata yung may crush kay Chef." Nina said. "Kita nyo naman kung paano sila tinarayan ni Chef, diba?" she added.