12. Precious

"Good morning, Ma'am, ano pong hanap nila? May mga bago kaming products. Hypo-allergenic, for all skin types." The salesperson said as Janine browsed the beauty section of the department store. She and Miguel met at the lobby of their condominium complex. Thinking about how they would manage transportation after they purchase the things she needed, Miguel surprised Janine with a van and driver.

"Hiniram ko sa bahay." Miguel said while opening the door and letting Janine get in first. The van's interior was fit with recliner seats.

"Sigurado ka? Sa Divisoria tayo pupunta, diba?"

"Oo. Bahala na si Tomas at Leo." Janine didn't notice Leo right away because of the van's heavy tint.

"Good morning, Ma'am." Leo said.

"Good morning." Janine replied. Then, turning to Miguel, "Sino sya?"

"Bodyguard." Miguel replied, matter-of-factly. Janine was becoming more curious about Miguel. From the few times they've spoken, he has been nothing but nice and courteous; he didn't have an air of arrogance either. He dressed normally and seemed to have good rapport with his staff.

Tomas dropped them off at one of the dimsum places in Binondo. As they sat and ordered their breakfast, Janine asked, "Paano sina Tomas?"

"Nag-breakfast na sila sa bahay." Miguel replied. Janine saw Leo seated at a nearby table.

Janine just kept silent. It was her first time to have a bodyguard follow her around. "Ano kayang training meron para maging bodyguard? Para sigurong ninja. Magaling kaya si Leo sa martial arts? May baril kaya sya?" Janine was lost in her thoughts until Miguel called her name.

"Ang dami naman nito!" Janine exclaimed. On the table were several kinds of dimsum, noodle soup, and buns.

"Eat up! You'll need the energy to shop." Miguel said as he served Janine.

---

"Ano ba ang balak mong bilhin?" Miguel asked while they ate.

Janine took out a piece of paper from her backpack. It was a print-out of pictures. Below the pictures was a list. "Pati na rin mga paper plates, cups, spoons and forks, party hats at yung loot bag na paglalagyan nyan."

Miguel studied the photos for bit and said, "Naalala ko nga tong mga to! Teka, lollipop at jelly ace lang ang candies mo?"

"Mga seniors ang bisita ko. Baka tumaas ang sugar o kaya mabilaukan sa candy na maliit."

"Sabagay. Ah, meron yung marshmallow na may chocolate na sa loob."

"Ah oo. Sige, hanap tayo ng ganun. At least yun, malambot."