Chapter 20: Circus

Oh yeah, this song is gonna be used, just you wait:) changed a few lyrics to fit with the plot, you won't even notice it!
Male part is Var-bear, female is Y/n!
Enjoy!

Two weeks later and Varian still hadn't given up trying to make amends with me. It was gonna take a lot more then putting me back on my potion taking schedule, flowers and sappy chocolates to fix what he put me through.
Luckily, the start of Carnival week in Corona was tomorrow. That would help take my mind off of things.
Eugene and Lance were putting on a circus, I decided to participate in it by being doing a trapeze act.

"How you doing Y/n?" Rapunzel let herself into my room.
"Quite fine actually, how are you though? I never grew that close to Cass, but she was your best friend after all." I hopped off my bed, facing Rapunzel.
Rapunzel rubbed her arm.
"Fine too I guess, I'm really hurt by it, but she's made her choice. I've made mine." Rapunzel gave a weak smile.
"How about we go downstairs and make some chocolate chip pancakes? I know how you like them." I offered, holding my arm out.
"I'd like that very much." Rapunzel gave a stronger smiled, linking arms with me.

~The Next Day~

"Carnival!" I pumped my fists into the air, leaping off  the bed and quickly putting on some trapeze appropriate clothes.
I ran to Rapunzel's room, but she wasn't there. I checked Eugene's, then Lance's, accidentally checked Cassandra's room only to quickly close that door.
"Maybe they're outside?" I thought to myself.
As soon as I stepped outside, I immediately knew my answer.
The town square was mayhem with balloons, decorations, games, shops and of course in the center of it all, Eugene and Lance's circus.
I walked through the drapes covering the entrance to the circus and smiled widely.
"Morning sleepy head, what took you so long?" Rapunzel smiled, setting up my trapeze act.
"I thought I got up early, guess not." I looked up while waking around.
Then I accidentally bumped into someone.
"Oh I'm sorry- oh, it's just you." My smile faded, realizing who I bumped into.
"Sorry, that was my fault." Varian apologized, scratching the back of his head.
"Actually, Y/n, we were wondering if you could duet with Varian for your trapeze act." Eugene slowly walked over.
"What? Why?!" I said, darkly.
"Varian's dad kicked him out of the house today because he was staying cooped up in his lab. It's not a big deal, the circus opens at 3, you guys have all day to prepare a routine!" Eugene smiled awkwardly.
I glared daggers at him, but then I noticed Rapunzel's excited look.
"Fine, whatever." I sighed, rubbing my temples.
"Yay!" Eugene smiled.
"We're gonna enjoy the Carnival for a bit, you two can start practicing. I got it all set up for you two." Rapunzel have me a thumbs up.
So this was all apart of her plan? She knew I wouldn't talk to Varian on my own, but if she forced us into a situation, I'd have to.
And of course Eugene picked her side, bunch of petty matchmakers-
"Shall we get started?" Varian asked, politely, taking off the blue vest he was wearing. He was now only wearing a white long sleeved shirt with black slacks, I would never admit it, but he looked cute.
Instead, I scoffed, wrapping the rope around me.
"Whatever, let's get this over with." I grumbled, tugging a the rope.
"Y/n, I don't like how we are right now. Why can't things be like how they used to be?" Varian asked, tying his rope around him as well.
I stared at him for a long time, flabbergasted.
"Why can't-? You know what, I'll let you figure that one out." I exasperated, walking away.

"You know I want you, it's not a secret I try to hide..." Varian started to sing, stopping me dead in my tracks.
"I know you want me, so don't keep sayin' our hands are tied." Varian continued to sing, placing his hand on my shoulder.
He started to twirl me around.
"You claim it's not in the cards, that fate is pulling you miles away, and out of reach from me," Varian pulled me close to him, his finger lifting my chin towards him.
"But you're here in my heart, so who can stop me if I decide that you're my destiny?" I pulled away from him, getting ready to hoist myself into the air.
"What if we rewrite the stars? Say you were made to be mine? Nothing could keep us apart, you'd be the one I was meant to find," Varian ended up hoisting us both together. I reached my hoop and looped my arms around it, Varian quickly did the same. We started to slowly circle each other in mid-air.
"It's up to you, and it's up to me. No one can say what we're made to be. So why don't we rewrite the stars? Maybe the world could be ours, tonight." Varian finished.
I lightly pushed him away, lowering my hoop. He hopped from his hoop to mine, gliding down gracefully.
He held on to my chest, now looking up at me.
"You think it's easy? You think I don't want to run to you? But there are mountains, and there are doors that we can't walk through." I sang back, letting Varian drop the last few feet to the bottom.
I started to lift myself back up, sitting on my hoop instead.
"I know you're wondering why, because we're able to be just you and me. Within our minds, but when we go back to life, you're gonna wake up and see that it was hopeless after all." Varian was able to climb back up and grab his hoop again. I got off from my sitting position and hung off of my hoop, only one hand keeping me from distancing myself from the hoop. Varian does the same, gripping half my arm as we started to circle around each other faster.
"No one can rewrite the stars, how can you say you'll be mine? Everything keeps us apart, and I'm not the one you were meant to find." We let go of our hands, the force breaking us apart until we were on opposite side of the circus.
"It's not up to you, it's not up to me. When you know well why we can't be. How can we rewrite the stars? Say that the world can be ours, tonight."
Varian and I ricocheted off the circus walls, practically flying towards each other until we collided.
"All I want is to fly with you." We both sang.
"All I want is to fall with you, so just give me all of you!" We sang to each other.
"It feels impossible!" I sang as we separated.
"It's not impossible." Varian sang back.
"Is it impossible?" I overlapped him.
"Say that it's possible." We harmonized.
I leapt from my hoop, Varian did as well. We grabbed hands as he twirled me into him.
"How do we rewrite the stars? Say you were made to be mine? Nothing can keep us apart, cause you are the one I was meant to find." We danced in the air as our ropes slowly lowered us down.
It's up to you, and it's up to me. No one can say what we get to be. And why don't we rewrite the stars? Changing the world to be ours?" We finished, our feet reaching the ground.
Our foreheads were touching, we were both panting but we were both smiling.
Then my smile faded.
"You know I want you...," I whispered.
"It's a secret I try to hide." I gulped, turning away.
"But I can't have you, we're bound to break and my hands are tied..." I trailed off.
"But Y/n-."
"I'll see you when the show starts. We seem to have a pretty good routine." I sniffled, untangling myself from my ropes and walking away.

Hope you enjoyed!
Please let me know if I made any mistakes!
Have a blessed day/morning/night!