Acceptance letter

Nico, Cecilia, and I remained silent, staring at the words printed on the fabric-like sheet of paper in our hands as we sat around the shoddy patio table.

"W-We got in," I muttered, not taking my eyes off of my acceptance letter. "I can't believe we got in."

"Speak for yourself. The only one Cecilia and I were worried about was you, Grey," Nico chortled, but even he couldn't hide his excitement as his lips spread into a wide grin.

"I can't believe it either," Cecilia whispered, her voice trembling.

"Woah! Are you crying, Cecilia?"

"N-No. I just have something in my eye-that's all."

I finally pried my eyes from the acceptance letter in my hand to see Cecilia hurriedly wiping her eyes with the ends of her sleeves, her usual creamy cheeks flushed bright red.

"Congratulations, you three," Headmaster Wilbeck's clear voice sounded from the entrance to the backyard.

"Headmaster!" Nico exclaimed, proudly holding up his letter for her to see like a trophy.

"I'll need to find some spare frames to hang those letters up," she smiled as she walked toward us, giving each one of us a hug.

Looking at the gentle smile on her face, a pang of guilt struck my chest. She was the woman who raised me like a son since I could remember, yet I was selfishly going away to a distant city. "Headmaster... are you sure it's okay for us to go? I can stay and help out at the orphanage! It's no big deal. I'm no good at studying anyway like Nico and Cecilia; plus, it's expensive and you're getting old so-ouch!" I yelped, rubbing my stinging forehead.

"I'll take you to the academy if I have to drag you in your underwear myself," she scolded, her finger curled up, ready to flick me again. "All these years of raising a troublemaker like you has paid off and you want to what-stay here? Not on my watch."

"Nico is the troublemaker. I just get dragged along!" I protested, raising my hands to protect my forehead from the assault.

"Then I guess Mr. Sever deserves one of these as well," the headmaster declared, flicking my best friend's forehead with the speed and accuracy of a trained soldier.

"Ow! Grey! What gives!" Nico cried, vigorously rubbing his forehead in pain.

I smirked victoriously, when I heard a soft giggle beside me. Nico and I both snapped our heads to see Cecilia smiling for the first time.

The two of us stared, wide-eyed and jaws agape, while even the headmaster was surprised.

"Did she finally break?" Nico whispered, leaning close to my ears.

I stabbed my friend in his side with my elbow, my eyes strangely glued to the sight of Cecilia laughing. My chest tightened and I felt my face getting hot, but it was only when Cecilia realized that we were all staring that I realized I was blushing, just like she was.

I quickly turned around and stood up to avoid her gaze, stretching for no reason other than to draw attention away from my face.

Headmaster Wilbeck must've seen through me because she gave me that devious grin that made her look ten years younger.

"I'd better head back inside, kids. School doesn't start for a few weeks but make a list of things you'll need so that you won't forget anything when one of the volunteers takes you all to town." The headmaster made her way back to the sliding door she'd come from, turning around once more before stepping inside. "And congratulations again, you three."