chapter five: hopelessness and unanswered questions

↳ ❝ [TAG, YOU'RE IT] ¡! ❞
CHAPTER 5.
by notanotherwinchester

TW: m*chael

ATHENA HAD GOTTEN TIRED OF EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED THAT NIGHT. The exhaustion her body had felt had finally crept up on her, right when she did not need it. Her body practically screamed out when she got up from her spot on the wooden floor after her 4th crying session that night. Generally, Athena never really cried. And when she did, she always scolded herself for it. But tonight she couldn't avoid it, and the helpless
feeling in the pit of her stomach had made her even sadder.

The young girl had laid on the floor, her younger sister in her arms, wrapped tightly, as they cried over all the losses they had to face that night. Chris, Amara, Laila. Athena even felt sad about Michael. Not about the recent memories she had of him, (they all consisted of him traumatizing her or her sister in one way or another) but the times they bonded when they were both adolescents. It hurt, truly, knowing that Michael had changed so much in just one night. It was just yesterday when he was playing cards with her at the kitchen table, yelling out in happiness when he won with a cocky expression on his usually serious face. To which Athena pouted with her arms crossed, watching her brother get a pat on the back by Chris, who laughed at him fondly.

Athena blinked as the memories became distant, her mind focusing on the present. Her brown eyes were closed for a second to regain her breathing before she sighed and shook her hands out. Sending a glance at her sister's motionless body, Athena gulped and looked at the spellbook she had laid out in front of her. She had gotten it almost immediately after Laila had collapsed, sometime after the hug she shared with Reagan. Reagan was upstairs, packing.

Athena had full faith in the spell working, even though she was incredibly inexperienced and a scared little girl who had no idea how her powers worked. She had assumed that maybe they would activate if she put her hands out in front of her like she did with Michael, and focused on the energy flowing through her. Her fingers twitched and her head tilted as she analyzed the spell she had memorized in her head. She thought about something that made her angry, figuring that's how it worked. And it did.

"Vitas Phasmatis," she said the incantation, imagining something that made her feel strong emotions. Flashes of Michael choking Laila, a dark, hungry look in his eyes. Chris, lay dead on the hallway floor. Amara's scream, then her body, lay carelessly on the floor like she was nothing. Athena grunted as she chanted the rest of the spell.

"Ex Salito, Revertas Phasmatis. Ut Vectas, Vitas Phasmatos, Ex Salito, Vitas Phasmatis."

Athena's vision flashed with spots as her hands fully shook now, her power almost completely overexerting her body. She gasped as her head pounded roughly in her head, her ears hearing her blood rush through her veins. Fear rushed through her at the unfamiliar, scary feeling that soared through her body.