chapter one: may 30th, 1970

↳ ❝ [TAG, YOU'RE IT] ¡! ❞
CHAPTER 1.
by notanotherwinchester
TW FOR ANXIETY-INDUCING SITUATIONS

by notanotherwinchester TW FOR ANXIETY-INDUCING SITUATIONS

ATHENA CASTEEL HAD NOT ALWAYS BEEN SO QUIET AND BITTER. There was once a time, when she was younger, that she had been happy. She had felt loved, she had friends, and her parents were happy and married. After the age of 5, it all went downhill. The "perfect" image the Casteel family had built up for themselves crumbled. Before it crashed and everything went downhill.

It was May 30th, 1970. Athena had been outside with her siblings, playing hide and seek. She had been the counter. Athena had gone to the far corner of their fenced-in backyard, counting to 100. Her 5 siblings, Amara, Reagan, Laila, Chris, and Michael, had gone to hide somewhere in the house.

She had barely finished counting to 50 when she heard a scream. Young Athena's eyes snapped open and she turned around from her spot where she counted, facing her house. Her heart racing, she ran up the stairs of the backdoor, sneaking in it stealthily after opening it slowly.

Athena ran up the stairs, checking each nook and cranny, before she stumbled upon Amara, holding Chris' lifeless body. Fear struck the 12-year-old's body as she kept her eyes on her older brother. His eyes were motionless and staring up at the ceiling. Dark blood coated his hands and cuts could be seen through his ripped-up black shirt.

Athena felt like throwing up. She couldn't take her eyes off her brother. She reminisced all the times she and her brother played together. All the time they played pranks on the rest of the family. Who could do this to a child? Much less her older brother who was only 19?

════ ════ ════⋆★⋆ ════ ════ ════

Questions arose in the young girl's mind as she overthought every possible situation.

How did somebody get in the house?

Who would want to kill him?

How could this possibly happen and nobody saw?

She thought over every plausible situation. But one thought stuck out to her. That she had tried to hide. Tried to deny it.

The only way he could've died without anyone finding out is if somebody in the house killed him.

She didn't want to think of one of her family members as a killer, but it made sense as to why nobody saw it or heard it until he was dead. Athena slowly backed away from her siblings that crowded around Chris' body and headed for the door. She opened the door and ran out, ignoring her siblings' calls.