ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ᴛᴡᴏ

Aspen didn't go back into the cave right away. She wanted to let Peeta and Katniss have their moment and spend time together on their own. So, she ended up falling asleep while keeping guard for Katniss and Peeta in the cave. They didn't need anyone sneaking up on them.

"Attention Tributes. Attention! Commencing at sunrise, there will be a feast tomorrow at the cornucopia. This will be no ordinary occasion. Each of you needs something desperately. And we plan to be generous hosts." A voice said, waking Aspen up from her sleep.

She got up and walked into the cave, seeing Katniss and Peeta laying by each other.

"You guys hear that? Time to get some medicine." Pen said, looking over at Peeta's leg. It didn't look any better.

"I don't want you guys risking your lives for me." Peeta said, struggling to sit up. Katniss started gathering her things.

"You need it. You can't walk." She said.

"I'm not gonna let you." Peeta argued. Aspen rolled her eyes.

"You would do it for me. Wouldn't you?" Katniss pointed out.

Aspen left the cave again. She saw it in Katniss and Peeta's eyes, they cared for each other. And Aspen didn't have that, and that hurt. There was no Gale in here she could confide in.

She leaned up against the side of the cave and wiped her tears.

"Fuck." She whispered, continuing to wipe her face. She took a few deep breaths and realized she had to pull herself together.

Katniss came out of the cave later, but none of them were completely sure how much time was passing. When Katniss came out, though, she looked almost as determined as Aspen.

"Ready for this?" Katniss asked. Aspen didn't nod, just continued to dodge leaves and branches as the girls walked.

"Yeah." She eventually said.

Once Katniss and Aspen got to the edge of the woods where the cornucopia was, they saw backpacks lined up on a table that corresponded with each district.

"There's no one around." Katniss whispered. Aspen nodded, looking around one last time.

"On three we run. One." She said.

"Two." Katniss started getting ready.

"Three!"

Both girls got up and started sprinting for the table the backpacks were on. They stopped quick, though, when a girl from District five ran for her backpack. She grabbed it and sprinted away. When she was out of view, Katniss and Aspen started running again.

They grabbed onto their backpacks and started running back for the woods, when a spear barely missed Katnisses's nose. Aspen looked up from where Katniss fell and saw Clove running for them. Pen rolled her eyes and put the backpack securely on her back.

Katniss drew an arrow, which Clove dodged. Then, she leaped forward on top of Katniss and started attacking her.

Aspen looked down and drew her sword, hitting Clove's wrist. Clove then picked up her knife and lodged it into Aspen's thigh.

"Pen!" Katniss yelled as Aspen fell to the ground.

Clove got back on top of Katniss, picking her knife up again and trying to hit her head. Katniss just missed it and the knife went into the grass. The girls wrestled each other for a few more moments until Clove's knife was finally at Katnisses's throat.

"Where's lover boy? Oh I see. You're gonna help him. Well, that's sweet. Well, it's too bad that you couldn't help your little friend. That little girl. What was her name again? Rue? Yeah. Well, we killed her. And, by the looks of it, I just killed your other little friend, too. And now, we're gonna kill you." Clove said, holding Katniss down and staring into her eyes.

Just then, someone kicked Clove in her back, making her fall on top of Katniss. Clove got up and was surprised to see Aspen standing there, a sword in her hand.

Aspen could've killed her when her back was turned, but she didn't want to do that. Instead, she wanted to see the look in her eyes as her life slipped away in Pen's arms.

Aspen punched Clove in the face, her falling down for a second time. Then, Pen picked Clove up by the throat and slammed her against the cornocopia.

"Cato! Cato!" Clove yelled, screaming for help.

"Not much of a shit talker now, are you?" Aspen asked, everyone breathing heavily. She stared in Clove's eyes, seeing pure fear.

She was happy Clove was scared for her life.

"Are you scared?" Aspen whispered, Clove and her staring at each other. Clove just cringed, so Aspen picked her up by the throat and slammed her against the cornocopia again.

"Say it! Are you scared?" Pen yelled.

"Yes! Please. Cato! Cato!" Clove whimpered and screamed.

Aspen drew her sword and lodged it into Clove's stomach, ripping it out again harshly. She let go of Clove's body, letting it fall to the ground.

"Fucking cunt." Aspen said, stepping over it.

Katniss stayed huddled on the ground, scared of what Aspen was going to do next. Katniss was never scared of her best friend. But, the girl standing in front of her wasn't Aspen. She didn't even recognize her.

"Let's go." Pen muttered, wiping her face and jogging for the woods. Katniss nodded, bringing herself together, standing up, and following Aspen.

The death cannon let out a boom.