ᴛʜɪʀᴛᴇᴇɴ

Aspen couldn't sleep well again that night. The games were getting closer and closer, which meant the day she would die was quickly approaching.

She made her way out of her room carefully and tiptoed to a big window. It wasn't real, of course, but it was a virtual image of what it looked like outside. Big buildings, stars, city lights still on. She wished she could be out there instead of feeling trapped in here. Or, better yet, back at home with Gale.

Footsteps approaching made Aspen's imagination come to a hault. When she looked over, Michael was standing there, his arms crossed, staring out the same window.

"For some reason, it's more peaceful out there than in here." He said.

Aspen's eyebrows were furrowed. From what she could remember in that moment, there wasn't a single time from the start of the games until now where Michael was nice to her. She didn't think his kindness would start tonight.

"Can't sleep either?" She asked, not trusting him enough to look away.

Michael didn't answer. Instead, he sat down on the window sill next to Aspen. A second went by before he spoke up.

"Tomorrow we're going to the arena. The games will officially begin." He said. Aspen was confused where he was going with this.

"Are you scared?" She wondered. Again, Michael didn't answer her.

"Are you?" He questioned. Aspen stared ahead, but nodded eventually. She didn't want to lie.

"You shouldn't be. You have things the rest of us can't get, with Charles dick-face on your side." Michael said. Aspen looked over at him quickly.

"No I don't. It's fair game with all of us." She defended. She didn't know if she was lying or not. She knew Charles cared about her, but she didn't know if he would actually do anything about it.

"C'mon, Blanchard. That guy practically loves you, you can see it on his face. I think if he had the chance to switch you guys, to be in your place, he would." Michael shook his head.

Aspen was taken back. She didn't know how to respond, so instead, she decided to switch the conversation onto Michael.

"What about you? You've been training for this, what? All your life? I think out of all of us, you're the one with the advantage." Pen responded. Michael scoffed.

"Yes, I've been training. Doesn't mean I'm ready." He said.

Pen thought again. Michael put up this front that he was this strong person ready to fight or even kill when he had to. But, deep down, he was just a kid like her. Maybe he really wasn't ready for this. She knew she wasn't.

"Look. I know we haven't always gotten along, but I do wish you good luck in that arena. I don't want any of us to die-"

"But we will." Michael cut Aspen off. They made eye contact with each other.

"You're right. About us not getting along that well. But, I know this sounds weird, you remind me a lot of my sister." He said. Aspen looked confused.

"I didn't know you have a sister." She said.

"Had. She, um, was really sick. My family couldn't really afford the treatment she needed, and..." Michael frowned. Aspen frowned as well. She never thought Michael would be here right now, opening up to her.

She guessed death really brings people together, as weird as that sounded.

A single tear fell down Michael's cheek. He wiped it away quickly and stared the opposite direction of Pen, not wanting her to see he was crying.

"You're just...a lot like her. You know, she was the only one there for me when I was forced to train for this. Because I didn't want any of this. And you remind me of her. That's all." He finished.

Aspen wanted to grab his hand, tell him everything was going to be okay. But she didn't do that.

"I promise I won't kill you in there, Blanchard. Unless you tell anyone we had this talk." Michael said. Aspen nodded, smirking. She put her hand out.

"I promise I won't kill you, either." She said. Michael looked down at her hand, then took it. They shook hands, but quickly pulled apart after a second.

Michael nodded his head, looked out the window one last time, and turned.

"Have a good night." He mumbled, making his way to his room and leaving Aspen to herself.