ꜰɪᴠᴇ

Aspen woke up early the next morning. She looked out the window and saw that the train was still moving. It was weird not waking up and immediately getting ready to hunt with Gale and Katniss. At least here she could take a proper shower.

After she was dressed and ready, she looked through the window of one of the compartments and saw Michael talking to Charles over toast and jam. Plum was doing his hair in the corner. Walking through the sliding door, the three looked at her.

"Finally you're awake." Charles said, picking up a cup.

"Tea or coffee?" He asked. Aspen didn't say anything, just sat down next to Michael. She wasn't thirsty or hungry, more nervous than anything.

"Why do we need sponsors?" Aspen asked Charles.

"Are you seriously going to ask a question that stupid?" Michael asked Aspen, staring at her like she had five heads.

Aspen, annoyed, ignored him. This guy didn't say one thing to her, and all of a sudden when he decides to talk it's an insult.

"There are no stupid questions. Sponsors buy stuff a tribute could need in the arena. They could potentially mean life or death." Charles said, correcting Michael and informing Aspen. Aspen nodded, slightly understanding.

"So, if you're my sponsor and I need matches, you'd supply them for me?" She asked. Charles nodded, happy she was understanding.

"Or if you're hurt, I supply you with medicine. The goal is to get these people to like you so that you can get sponsors. They could save your life." He said. Aspen nodded.

"Aren't you supposed to be like, our mentor, too?" Aspen asked him. Charles shrugged, taking a sip of coffee.

"Technically." He said. Aspen nodded.

"Are you sure you understand?" Michael asked, talking to Aspen like she was a three year old. Aspen looked over at him, her eyes squinted.

"Excuse me?" She asked.

"All you are in this game is a pretty face." Michael said. Aspen picked up a knife that was set in front of her carefully.

Michael shook his head and reached over the table to grab another piece of toast. Just as he was about to grab the toast, Aspen took the knife and slammed it down, the point of it landing right in between Michael's pointer and thumb finger.

"That's Mahogany!" Plum said, referring to the pierced wood.

"I may be a pretty face, but I can kick your ass, too." Aspen told him, ignoring Plum. He looked over at her, not saying anything and a cold expression on his face. Charles, on the other hand, was smirking at her. He was happy she was sticking up for herself.

Michael looked from Aspen to the window, and he saw the outside of the Capitol.

"Looks like we're here." He said, smirking to himself.

Plum sighed and frantically started getting his bags together, not wanting to be on this train any longer. Aspen got up and walked to where Michael was standing, looking out the window. Charles joined the two, admiring how much they seemed entertained by the Capitol's view. Charles got to see the Capitol everyday. When people from the Districts came, they always liked staring. Charles liked that. It entertained him.

Aspen jumped back when the view of one of the Capitol buildings quickly turned black, making Michael have to catch her. He immediately took his hands off of her when she was stable.

When the darkness from the tunnel went away, a crowd erupted in screams and cheers when they saw the train. Aspen looked over at Michael, who smiled and waved at the people of the Capitol.