The Shot (I+II)

Will woke up with a strange noise.
He heard something in his kitchen fall down. Jay couldn't be back, Jay had said that he'd need to stay at the bullpen for another few hours because of a difficult case.

Will got up, expecting to see Jay in the kitchen. But suddenly he saw a man dressed completely in black so Will couldn't identify him.

He saw the gun too late to duck or hide.

Boom.

He fell backwards as the bullet pierced through his upper stomach, near to the chest. Will was met with unimaginable pain. Then blackness.

When Will woke up again, he felt incredibly lightheaded. His doctor brain told him significant blood loss. It took him a while to get at least somewhat lucid. He didn't even notice the pain until he moved a bit.

He hissed in pain while he tried to get to his phone beside his bed. He had to call Jay. As soon as he had the phone in his hand he leaned back against his little desk next to his bed. He was panting and every breath was painful.

He waited until he wasn't so dizzy anymore so he could open his eyes. With shaky fingers he slowly scrolled to Jay's phone number.

"What's up Will? You know I'm working late today, or have I forgotten to tell you?", Jay picked up and asked, genuinely wondering if he had forgotten to tell Will.

Hailey and Hank listened to Jay picking up. At first it seemed like a normal phone call, but that changed with Jay's reaction almost immediately after Will's answer.

"J-Jay", Will said, breathing hard, barely managing to get the name out.

"What's wrong Will? Are you hurt?", Jay asked, shocked, getting up to get his jacket.

"Sh-Shot, Abdomen", Will whispered, the tiredness obvious in his voice.

"Hey, hey, stay with me, stay awake, you know you have to stay awake", Jay ordered while he was about to walk down the stairs to get to Will.

Before he could do that Hank had walked towards him.

"I'll drive, you keep him awake, I'll call an ambulance", Hank offered and Jay nodded, not caring about anything else at the moment.

"Hurts", Will whispered through the phone, having heard the conversation of Hank and Jay.

"I know, I know, buddy, stay awake for me, yeah? We're almost there, Voight called the ambulance. They're coming, just hang on", Jay rambled, clearly in great distress.

Voight's heart ached at the way Jay spoke with his brother. His best detective was usually blunt and brutally honest, often missing manners with new people. But Jay spoke with his brother that way, that it was clear Jay loved Will very much. And he was his only family, too, even if he knew that Jay considered the unit a family.

Finally, after what seemed years for Jay, they arrived at Will's apartment.

"I've got a spare key", Jay stated, looking in the pot next to the door.

He opened the door and called out.

"Will? We're here"

They split up on instinct and went through the apartment like they did on their busts.

Jay went to kitchen. He maybe expected something on the stove, maybe Will, but definitely not an unknown person dressed in black.

In his moment of stupor the man noticed Jay.

"HANK! OFFENDER", Jay yelled, knowing his Sergeant would call another patrol car for back up.

Before the offender could flee Jay tackled him and, surprisingly and not surprisingly, he had him on the ground fast. He was lucky that he had still his handcuffs on his hip, and he handcuffed the now grunting man.