8

"Gee?" Frank called out as he made his way through the darkened rooms of the apartment.

He knew his boyfriend wasn't home, but he shouted for him all the same. It had become a regular occurrence now, Gerard 'working late'. He changed into some sweatpants and an old t-shirt and then made his way into the kitchen, where he sat at the table while he awaited the ding of the microwave to tell him his mac and cheese was ready. He didn't bother to switch on the light, and in all honesty, couldn't really be bothered to eat, but the fact that he hadn't ate all day meant his stomach was now growling at him in desperate need of some nourishment.

He shoveled the food into his mouth without even tasting it. He stared off into the vast nothingness of the kitchen and felt his mind begin to wander, yet again. He knew where Gerard was. He probably was working late in actual fact, but 'working' seemed more and more to mean; having dinner in the office - with Finn, or going for drinks to discuss work - with Finn, or who the fuck knows what else – with Finn. He didn't want to believe that there was anything going on between the two of them, but since he'd dyed his hair after Finn suggesting it to him, Frank had an increasingly uneasy feeling bubbling in the pit of his stomach. Almost every night for the last three weeks Frank had come home to an empty apartment. When he had suggested going out for a meal, Gerard had pulled a face and said he'd already made plans but would definitely be up for it another night. That didn't happen.

Frank worried about the distance that was growing between the two of them. He adored everything about Gerard, and he knew that his immature behaviour (that Gerard had mentioned on more than one occasion) was at least in part to blame for the wedge that had formed between them. But he had been trying, really trying to show Gerard that he was more than just the kid that he seemed to see him as. Gerard had insinuated that he sometimes found Frank's childish behaviour a little irritating, and at first Frank was of the opinion that that was who he was, so fucking take it or leave it. In truth however, the thought of the 'leave it' option had terrified him, and of late, he had made a conscious effort to show Gerard that he could be more mature. He had done his share around their home, had cut back on the drinking and smoking and had stopped having the guys around as much. Gerard hadn't even seemed to notice his efforts however, and the two had become even more isolated from one another, which was the opposite to what Frank was hoping to achieve. They were like ships passing in the night, simply making small talk when they were together. It was so alien to Frank. He and Gerard had always had such a strong connection, and he couldn't come to terms with the fact that their close bond seemed to have been fractured somehow. It honestly broke his heart. Not only did he feel like his boyfriend (fucking soulmate in fact) was slipping out of his grasp, but his best friend in the entire world too.

Just as he was sinking into darker and darker thoughts, he heard Gerard's key in the front door. Frank usually put a fake smile on his face and pretended that everything was quite normal when Gerard returned late each evening; even going as far to pretend that he hadn't noticed the time, but he couldn't seem to even move from the kitchen table tonight; rooted to the spot and unable to mask the worry on his face.

"Frank!" Gerard said quietly as he entered the dark kitchen. He flicked the switch on the wall, making Frank's eyes squint at the harshness of the fluorescent flickering light. "Why the fuck are you sat in the dark?"

Frank swallowed hard and felt tears sting his eyes as he looked up at Gerard. He was still the most beautiful man Frank had ever laid eyes on. He couldn't pinpoint one feature in particular, and he certainly wasn't your classic tall, dark and impeccably groomed man, but he had a certain something about him that was truly magnificent. An aura if you like, that made him outshine anyone Frank had ever encountered before. He felt guilty that he had ever even given others a second glance - which he had, he knew that, especially when on tour and felt a little flattered by the attention he received. But he knew, he knew he would never in a million years have ever even considered acting on those thoughts. Because he understood how blessed he was to have Gerard waiting for him. His perfect, thoughtful, kind and gorgeous Gerard. Gerard who he now feared he was slowly in the process of losing.