Chapter 20

This chapter contains mention of suicide and self harm that may be triggering for some audiences. Please read with caution.

-

MIAMI, FLORIDA - CIRCA 2002

"I want this kept under wraps," Michael slipped the nurse a small wad of hundred-dollar bills. "I don't even want her file on the floor,"

The nurse glanced down at the money in her hand and nodded. "Of course, Mr. Jauregui. I'll let the other on-call nurses know."

"When do you think she'll be able to get out of here?"

"By law, we're required to keep her here for seventy-two hours and have a psych evaluation done before we can release her."

"How about we cut it down to forty-eight and no eval?"

"Mr. Jauregui—"

"I'll have a word with the doctor about it," Michael patted her on the shoulder. "Thank you for everything else you've done. My family appreciates it."

He turned to head back into the patient room, tears brimming his eyes at the sight of Caitlin's frail body practically glued to the hospital bed.

"She told me," Clara said meekly. "She told me she was having all these thoughts and the voices in her head wouldn't stop. But I... I thought she was doing it for attention. I thought she was mad at us for throwing Lauren that big birthday party."

"Honey," Michael sighed and stepped beside Clara. "Nobody could've predicted this. It's not your fault."

"She's our daughter, Michael. How can I possibly call myself a mother when I've failed to protect her?" Clara lightly ran her fingers over Caitlin's bandaged wrists. "My baby," she sobbed. "Oh God, my baby..."

Michael stood still, unsure of what he could possibly do to provide his wife any comfort in her time of anguish. From what the doctors said earlier, the cuts weren't deep enough to be life-threatening and she'd make a speedy recovery within a few days.

The only thing left was fixing up the mess Caitlin dumped behind.

-

"I'll have our guest house cleaned and set up for you and your daughter. My wife and I appreciate you starting so last minute. We've been trying to get a new maid for a few months now, but Clara Jauregui is one hard woman to get along with."

"Oh, Mr. Jauregui, it's not far of a drive. I don't mind staying where we are now."

Michael shook his head, disagreeing. "I'm sure my daughter, Lauren, will enjoy having somebody else her age around. Things haven't really been the same since my eldest went to boarding school."

"Will she be around when school is done for the year?"

"No," Michael said grimly. "I've had her room turned into an office for my wife, but I'd appreciate it if you stayed out of it completely. She's not big on... Speaking about her at all."

"I understand," Sinu nodded, not wanting to push for any more information. "I'll keep my lips sealed,"

"Why don't you bring your daughter in? I'm sure Lauren is up to meeting a new friend. I'll grab her right now."

Sinu headed back out to the car, tapping lightly on the backseat door. "Come on, mija. Mr. Jauregui wants you to meet your new friend."

"Yucky," Camila mumbled under her breath as she unbuckled her seatbelt and followed her mother into the humongous house. "Is he mean?"

"No," Sinu laughed lightheartedly. "He's not mean, sweetie. He has a daughter your age."

"Is she mean?"

"Well, why don't you find out for yourself?" Sinu gave her shoulder a small squeeze as Lauren descended down the steps of their staircase.

"Hi," Lauren stuck her hand out. "Camilla,"

"Camila," she corrected her. "Cam-ee-la,"

"Cam-ee-la," Lauren repeatedly the words slowly.

"What's your name?"

"Lauren," the raven-haired girl answered.

Camila hummed in acknowledgment, rocking back and forth on her heels. "Lauren,"

-

WITCHITA, KANSAS - CIRCA 2003

"Stop being a brat!"

"Get out of my room," Caitlin refused to look up from her silk bedding. "I don't want to talk to you,"

Michael rubbed his temples. "I just don't think it's the right time,"

"I made one mistake," Caitlin said. "I made one stupid little mistake, and everybody is still holding it against me."

"Your grandmother says your behavior has gotten much better ever since you started staying here,"

"That's because I have nothing else to do in the middle of bum fuck Kansas!"

"Watch your language," Michael glared at her. "Lauren and Chris... They... Look, I don't want them to remember any of it. Lauren is already talking about how she sees monsters under her bed all the time now and her therapist is saying it's likely a trauma response to what happened."

"Usually when your eldest daughter slits her wrist in the middle of dinner, you give her unwavering support and love instead of isolating her from the world like she's some fucking disease."

Michael unbuttoned his blazer, running a hand through his patchy hair. "Caitlin—"

"Right. You think I'm some stupid little kid who doesn't understand shit about anything. Don't worry, I got the message loud and clear when I saw the paperwork in grandma's study the other day."

"Would you let me explain?"

"Explain what? How you want to change my last name because you're so fucking ashamed of me that you don't even want the world we're related? Yeah, take your time trying to explain that one, Michael. I can call you that now, right? Since we're not really on familial terms anymore."

He grabbed Caitlin by her shoulders, forcing her to look at him. "It's to protect you, for goodness sake! For one second, can you stop trying to assume everybody is out to hurt you?"

"Protect me? You call that protecting?" Caitlin shoved him away. "Rot in hell, Michael Jauregui,"

"If you thought those corporate vultures I work with would let something like this go by unnoticed, you're a lot more stupid than I thought."

"Work, work, work," Caitlin spat every repeat of the word with malice. "You and your shiny little reputation, give me a fucking break. One day, you're going to release how badly you—" she jabbed a finger into his chest. "—fucked our relationship up. Mark my goddamn words."