Chapter 9

"Would you like some water?"

Silence filled the room.

"Maybe a cup of tea?"

Lauren sat there with her eyes glued to the metal table in front of her. "I'm fine. Thank you."

The detective mouthed for her partner to run out and get something for her to drink, anyway. She directed her attention towards Lauren once again when she heard the door click into place.

"As you know, you're not being arrested,"

"Then why the fuck do you have handcuffs on me right now?" Lauren snapped.

The detective set her lips into a hard line before digging into her pocket to find the key. "If you were arrested, we would have to read you—"

"My Miranda rights, I know. I'm a law student in case you don't know by now."

"Then I'm sure you won't mind if we ask you some questions, Lauren."

When she didn't respond, the detective proceeded with her interrogation. "So, how do you know Simon Cowell?"

"Just like everyone else," she grumbled. "He's my criminal law professor,"

"And have you ever spoken to him outside of class?"

"I barely spoke to him in class,"

"Based on his office hours records, you met with him last week and had another meeting planned for next. Any reason as to why you were seeing him so often?"

Lauren let out a quiet huff. "I was thinking of transferring and wanted to see if he was willing to write my letter of recommendation if I passed his class."

"Transferring?" The detective's interest was piqued. "How come?"

"New Haven just isn't for me,"

-

"Where the hell is Lauren?" Camila furrowed her eyebrows. "Can any of you fucking speak?"

"Ehm," Detective Jonas cleared his throat. "We can assure you that your friend is safe and sound. If you could please take a seat, we'll get you out faster than you came in."

"Well?" Camila sat back down. "Are you going to ask or what?"

The detective fumbled around with his papers before looking up at the dark-haired woman. "How would you describe your relationship with Simon Cowell?"

"There was none,"

"You never... Spoke with him outside of class hours or anything?"

"If you actually had a brain and knew anything about him, you'd know that he can't stand his fucking students."

A muscle in his jaw twitched. "Have you always been in his class? Or did you get put in after the semester already started?"

"For fuck's sake," Camila muttered. "All of the incoming students are required to pass his class before they can move on to 2L."

"Right. Did you know anyone who had a strong dislike towards him? Any of the other students who were pissed about not doing well in his class?"

Camila leaned forward, her chin raised high in defiance. "Listen, Detective..." She squinted her eyes to read his badge. "Jonas, I don't know anything about him or what the guy did in his goddamn free time. And if you're not arresting me, this conversation is over. Take me to Lauren. Now."

Annoyance flashed through his eyes before he quickly recovered himself. He jabbed his thumb in the direction of the door and tried to give her a nonchalant shrug, but Camila saw right through his façade.