Another figure emerged, from where, she didn't know.

Grey flak jacket...

Lion mask...

Anbu...

Two more appeared, same vest...

Different masks...

"T-take her," the medic commanded, her once steely confident voice broken and wobbly, "back to containment-I can't...I have to-I need one of you to stay and h-help me deal with this..."

Her bestie spoke between great gulps of air, her chest rising and falling quickly, painfully; the last few words wheezing from her lips.

Ino didn't fight the restraining hands wrapping tightly around her arms.

She didn't blink as she was lifted from the cold hard ground.

Nor did her dilated eyes shift from the little figure lying disturbingly still, nestled within a scarlet puddle on the pavement as she was whisked away.

xxxxxx

"What do you remember?"

Arms crossed and leaning against the wall nearest the window, Naruto and kyuubi tuned their attention to the man on the hospital bed. Eyes burning with compassion and concern, Hinata sat next to her weary teammate, her pale hands enveloping one of his. Hours after the well wishers and happy visitors had been ushered from the room, a select few remained to hear a first hand account from Shino. The Hokage himself, Shikamaru, Naruto, Hinata, and Shibi Aburame remained. Exhausted, a bit dizzy and sluggish, the former shinobi had been cleared for an interview surrounding the mission that had carried him so far from Konoha and the events leading up to his injuries.

Naruto was certain the slumping of his shoulders, the hollowness in his eyes, and the slouched posture in his form had more to do with the crushing news he'd received.

Three hours before Kiba had come banging on their door, Shino had roused from his coma.

With his father at his side, he'd learned the devastating reality he was to face day after day. Naruto wondered if they could have given him more time before laying it out the harsh reality, a few days to orient himself before pulling the rug from his feet...but, the Jinchuuriki knew why that wasn't a reprieve Shino had been granted. Even if the doctor hadn't revealed the tragedy that was his ruined chakra network, his body would have. Being in tune with one's self was a fundamental concept ingrained in every ninja. Knowing your baseline, physically, spiritually, was taught as early as Academy days. A seasoned, detailed orient shinobi like Shino would realize there was something horribly wrong the moment he woke.

Transfusion to maintain his failing chakra system were mandatory.

Since rousing, he'd already been through three chakra transfusions and would continue to receive them every hour on the hour until the meds kicked in fully.

That alone was enough to warrant a prompt explanation.

Most compelling of all, a reality no one could shield him from was the painful realization that his insects were gone. Shino, who loved his creepy crawlies more than anything would feel their loss the moment he opened his eyes.

No...

There was no grace period for the injured civilian.

"From the time you arrived in Suna," Kakashi continued, "start there."

"I remember...bits and pieces, my recollection is fuzzy, even missing in places, but I can remember my initial arrival. I was uncomfortable beneath the heat, but as I traveled, I felt a discomfort that was not a consequence of the scorching climate. There was something strange," his dark brows crinkled, brown eyes far away, "in the desert..."