Awareness

Chapter Three

Awareness

October 16, 2007

Naruto sat quietly, watching as the nurse re-wrapped his bandages. Finally done with all the poking and prodding, he was eager to leave. He never liked staying in the hospital despite how frequently he ended up there.

"Everything looks good, Uzumaki-san," the doctor across the room said, "Aside from that arm and a couple of bruises, you're in very good shape. Your healing capabilities are quite impressive,"

Naruto smiled, ruffling his hair.

"Yeah I get that a lot,"

"Also, the nurse that's been assigned to assist you is due to return to her duties today, have you been able to find a replacement to help you while your prosthetic is being constructed?"

"Yeah, she said she'd meet up with me here after I get done with you guys,"

"Excellent, so that's taken care of. Be sure to take your medication as prescribed and if you have any pain use the painkillers, but make sure you only use them sparingly, opioids are highly addictive. Any sign of fever, return here immediately. Any color changes to the wound, return here immediately, its very important, Uzumaki-san. Ninja or not, you have a serious wound and it needs to be monitored carefully,"

"Gotcha doc," Naruto said grinning as the nurse moved away from his amputated arm, "I'll be careful, 'ttebayo"

"Good, now I have some information here for your caregiver about wound care and your diet," he said, holding up a folder full of paper.

"Diet?"

"Its important that you stay well nourished with a balanced diet in order to ward off infection as well as make sure you're in the best possible condition for the prosthetic attachment surgery. Ramen isn't going to cut it,"

"Ah, yeah, right, got it. Balanced diet,"

'Psh, I'll get my hands on some ramen, one way or another,'

"That's all for now, if you have any questions feel free to come back and talk to us. You'll need another check up in about a month but if you have any concerns before then, come back and we'll check you out,"

"Do you know how long it'll be before my prosthetic is ready?"

"Hmmmmm,"

The doctor pulled glasses from his white coat pocket and placed them on his nose before turning to Naruto's medical chart and flipping through its pages. He stopped at one particular page and read silently.

"It'll be at least four to six months before Hashirama's cells mature enough to craft a prosthetic, maybe longer,"

"I see," Naruto pouted, a bit bummed out he'd be out of commission that long.

"Cheer up, the time will pass before you know it. Besides, it'll give you a nice little break for once. It must be tough, being a shinobi, especially at your age,"

Naruto grinned.

"Yeah, its tough work,"

"Well you're only seventeen, you should enjoy your youth. Hang out with friends, find some girl you fancy,"

A blush stained Naruto's cheeks.

He doubted Sakura-chan would be interested in going out with him now that they'd brought Sasuke back. Though Sasuke had already left the village again and hadn't taken Sakura with him, nor had he said when he'd return.