But I guess for some, faith isn't simply self-serving. Several days ago, when the girl with the dark hair prayed for Kevin, she prayed confidently, as though she genuinely expected something to happen. It was like watching a Jedi manipulate the Force. What possesses her to have that kind of belief? Why is it that where she is concerned, I have more and more questions? I don't know anything about her or who she is, but I'd really like to find out...

I make a pit stop at The Slab, which is pretty much a small slice of heaven in the middle of Condor Hall. The sandwiches here are just okay, but I need something in my stomach now. I pick out a chicken sandwich and bring it to the counter.

"Thanks, Agnes," I flash a smile at the stout and grumpy cashier as she swipes my ID card.

"Welcome," she grunts, not looking up at me.

Agnes shifts her feet and winces before waving the next student forward. I watch as she struggles to fetch something under the counter. The Slab is basically a tiny box with a lone metal stool in the corner. I frown. What administrative idiot thought it acceptable not to give a food service worker a better chair? I stew on this the entire walk back to Swan Hall.

---

By the time I return to the dorm, Lee is already back from lunch and reading a book for class.

"The athlete returns," he says dryly as I enter.

I smirk, setting down my pack and opening my sandwich.

"Miss me?"

"No, but the girls across the hall did. They came over a little while ago asking for you. Again."

Lee glances up from his book, fixing me with his light blue eyes. His eyes are large and round, and he watches me like Gollum watches the hobbits. I ignore his comment as I eat. Nearly every girl on the floor has come knocking ever since move-in day, especially Becky.

"What do you know about the girls in #219 at the end of the hall" I ask, trying to keep my tone subtle.

Lee shrugs, looking bored.

"Not much," he says. "They seem normal. One of them is a physics major."

"I mean the one with long, dark hair," I say.

"Oh, her. She played at the lounge talent show over the weekend."

"I wasn't there," I admit, finishing my sandwich and balling up the plastic wrap in my hands. "Were you?"

Lee flips a page in his book, looking wholly uninterested. "Nope. I was going on a raid with my guild for EverQuest."

"I have no idea what that is. Anyway, I was just curious if you knew her."

"Why don't you just go talk to her?" he yawns.

Now why didn't I think of that? I toss the plastic into the trash can near the door and step back out into the hall.

I brush the crumbs from my face as I walk, taking notice of who's home and who's not. Some of my floor mates are more friendly than others, usually leaving their doors open, like Vanessa and Amanda in #204 and Mohan and Dev in #207. Although Becky's door is wide open, I scuttle past as quickly as possible – she has a bad habit of showing up in the hallway each time I shower, and she looks at me like I'm a piece of meat.

I reach the end of the hall and see that the door to #219 is propped open. Looking inside, I see that her back is turned towards me, and she is working at her desk. She sits with one knee up, hunched over her work. I clear my throat and knock twice. She turns and looks directly at me. Her eyes are deep brown and wide with curiosity. And though I knew she was pretty, seeing her this close is different – she's beautiful.