Retribution

Sorren woke up on the floor feeling like she had been chewed up and spit out. Her muscles were stiff and aching and the scratches and bites were stinging, too. At least she was warm and not soaking wet. With a groan, she opened her eyes and looked into the circular yellow ones of Master Owl. Next to them was one of Blue's pale blue eyes with his head turned to the side. Wren was there as well as Snake, Badger, Fox and even Turtle had found their way to the cave.

"How do you feel?" Bear asked from behind her, his voice sounded gravelly. He was clearly not well.

She realized that instead of putting her in her nest, Bear had moved her to his own bed, both to keep her warm and make sure she was okay. "Sore," she said, sitting up.

"Well, what happened, then?" Blue was never patient. "We seen those awful nasty pelts over there and we know they is wolves. Wren saw all the bodies. Seven or eight she says. But here you are, Lassie, still breathin' ey?"

"Why did you leave the cave?" Bear asked.

"I saw the wolves coming," Owl answered for her. "I came to warn you both to leave, but she said you were too ill to go. It is my fault that she ran out on her own."

Bear grunted. It sounded half-agreeing and half-irritated. She was always out searching for trouble in his eyes.

"You knew they was out and you went to find 'em?" Blue was astounded.

"That doesssn't ssseem sssmart, Sssorren," Snake chided.

"Damn crazy," Fox cursed.

It was too early for the barrage of questions and chastisement. If they wanted to ask questions, they could at least listen to her answers. "Stop, all of you," she said, putting her hands out. "Yes, Master Owl told me they were coming and, yes, Bear, you were too sick to even wake up, let alone run or fight a pack of wolves. If I had stayed, they would have come to the cave and killed us both. So, I ran." She stopped and gently touched a cut as she bought more time. She could not mention the Gagra, or its mysterious disappearance. "The wolves finally caught up to me, but they followed me and did not find the cave. The alpha was a part of the pack we fought earlier last year and he said we killed his mate, Bear. They were seeking revenge. I started to fight them and killed one before the Peregrines arrived."

Her small crowd gasped collectively.

"Peregrines!"

"They saved you?"

"How did you get away?"
"What happened then?"

She batted away their questions. "The alpha was on top of me and was shot with an arrow. The four of them killed several wolves." She could not explain the exchange of favors, nor tell them that she had saved their lives before. "They said it would not be fair to take me with them after all of that and let me go. They also promised that they would not follow me home and they didn't. I did not know Flock Avians had any honor like that."

"They are usually scoundrels," Owl agreed.

"It does not mean that you should trust them, Sorren. I am sure you know that. It could be a trick, yet," Bear warned.

"It isn't a trick," Sorren said. "They just decided to let me go. They said that next time they wouldn't. I do not trust them and I intend to stay in the cave as much as possible. Besides, I have to get you better." She patted his fuzzy side.

He sighed and put his head back down. It was obvious that he was still tired and was no longer afraid that she wouldn't wake up again. It had probably taken most of his strength to stay up with her when he needed rest, but at least he was relaxing now. She watched him close his eyes.

FeathersOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara