Prey

Bain walked through the forest for hours and felt the fatigue in his bones. Even though his search had been fruitless thus far, he still moved quietly and every darting bird or rolling leaf caught his attention. He wished the wind would subside, because he was sure that he would be able to hear better, perhaps even smell the honey wax soap over the musty smell of the trees and the creek.

He regretted letting her go in the city. He could have had the main gate closed in seconds and every Hawk on duty around her instantly. However, when the sentries had alerted him that there was a Feral female in the Lower Quarter as he had instructed them to, he had not thought that it would be his own. In fact, he had not planned to investigate at all, instead choosing to visit Durmer, the medic Coldwind had visited the previous night.

Bain had been naturally suspicious at the report and wanted to see the Avian himself. He had been quite surprised to see a Feral female in the West Middle Quarter and astounded that she was the one he had hoped to follow home if she had come to the city. The fact that she had not found the medicine she needed in the Lower Quarter and had dared to enter the next, made him hesitate, wondering if either she or someone she cared about was very ill. The way she spoke to the butcher's chickens and innocently let them all go had been endearing, a spark that lightened his heart as only Strix had been able to do since Victor's passing.

Patiently, he waited while she completed her business with the snake, carefully weighing the costs and benefits of seizing her right then. One on hand, the hunt would be over and he would not be so far from his responsibilities and Coldwind's suspicious behavior. On the other, the female could be very sick or caring for someone who was and he did not want to prevent medical treatment. It would also not be very noble of him to break the treaty his great grandfather had made over something so petty as releasing a few chickens. It would seem like an excuse, a shortcut to the hunt and there was no honor in it.

When she had reappeared, so distraught and teary-eyed, his relaxed amusement had been immediately replaced with concern. There was not just one vial in the bulging satchel at her hip. There was enough for several Avians, which meant that she was not the one who was sick. He had suddenly remembered how she had lovingly clambered on top of the giant bear in the clearing, kissing him and bothering him so affectionately. Surely, she had enough medicine with her for a bear or something of equal size, even a family. He knew that the purchase had not been cheap and wondered how she had been able to make such a transaction. The thought of Durmer touching the woman he planned to take as his wife, had angered him.

Then she had seen him and he had been torn from his speculations. He had not moved, a reaction produced by his previous thoughts. The butcher stole her attention and he had quickly decided to let her go when she turned and ran, slipping out of sight himself. His alarm would have moved so much more rapidly than the butcher's and he would have been expected to bring justice to the situation. It was better for him to wait until the butcher was away and mustering up what forces he could to go after the female before Bain ventured down to give Durmer a surprise visit.

That too, had played into his hands. The memory was still fresh in his mind.

Durmer had looked up from his desk only when Bain had cleared his throat and then the Avian's black eyes had grown wide and an obviously fake smile cracked his thin lips. "Oh, my lord, I...well, you were the last Peregrine I expected to see here. Is something the matter with your Feral doctor?" There was a glint of jealousy and contempt in his eyes at the mention of Bain's choice of a palace doctor. Durmer put himself on a pedestal, one that was not a place for someone with so few morals.

"No," Bain smiled pleasantly. "He is doing brilliantly. In fact, we are having a hard time keeping the females away from him."

Durmer's lip twitched with annoyance. "What a problem to have, then. Was there anything I could do for you?"