Returned

The door shut behind him and the guard took up just behind Bain as he strode down the hall. Though he was in no hurry, he did not want to stop and exchange pleasantries with anyone who would try. Everyone knew that he had returned with his Feral and would be peeking out their windows to catch a glimpse of the pair. No one knew that he had gone straight to Asio's and he hoped that they had given up watching for him by now.

He took the long way through the palace, his face masked of emotion so the servants he passed would know to keep walking the other direction. He came to the Peregrine Tower from the servant hallway and was glad to see that there were very few about. All of the Peregrine men lived in the tower, the giant structure was hollow within, except for a few supporting beams that stretched across the space and served as long bridges. The walkway followed the curve of the walls as it climbed upward, used rarely by those who could not or did not wish to fly to the desired floor. The royal apartments were at the highest point and were the largest while the floors nearest the ground were for those of the lowest station.

Bain quickly decided that flying, even though he was reaching the limit of his endurance for the day, would be faster and less trouble than walking. It would draw less suspicion. He unfolded his wings and stretched them out, feeling the great aching already. Tomorrow would be much worse.

"Ah, Bain. You succeeded, or so I hear," said a cool voice from behind, effectively stopping him.

Bain wings hinged as he slowly released an irritated sigh, but did not turn around. "Coldwind. I have not seen you in a while," Bain avoided his comment.

"Yes, I was traveling during the last meeting. Please accept my apologies." Coldwind stepped around Bain's shoulder as he spoke, his pale eyes dropping to Sorren as soon as they could, too curious for courtesy. They flared, too hungry for his mask. "Ah, so it is true, then. There is nothing you cannot accomplish, is there? And look, she has already got you wrapped around her finger, carrying her all over the place. How endearing. You always were a bit soft," he chuckled, straining to see her face. He was obviously wondering why she had not responded to him.

Bain stared at him unblinkingly, grinding the edges of his lower teeth back and forth against the inside of his top ones, behind his lips. He imagined Coldwind's head crushing into the ground as the guard's had and it made him more tolerant of the situation, though by little.

"What is the matter with her?" The faintest hint of a smile touched Coldwind's eyes, as though he was delighted at the prospect that Bain had failed and had killed the Feral in his arms.

"She is sedated, Darus. I did not wish to traumatize her further. She is quite the handful," Bain said in a flat voice.

"Really? But she is so small. I suppose badgers are small and they can tear one apart. She is a female, regardless, so she will be easy to break. Once you do, make use of her as best you can," Coldwind sneered. "If she was worth the hunt, you will get a son or two out of her."

Bain kept his face impassive and focused inwardly on control, letting his breath out impossibly slowly through his nose. How dare he speak of his mate in such a way? Like she was disposable.

He wanted to carefully put Sorren on the ground and beat the Peregrine standing beside him until his face was unrecognizable, but knew that it was unwise. Sorren might wake up and be frightened. "Choose your words carefully, Darus. She will be your queen soon and disrespecting her will earn you no favors with me."

Coldwind's face moved from smug derision to a steely emptiness. Bain turned away before the Avian could say anything more or try to redeem himself, and swept off the edge. With a few sure strokes of his wings, he gained altitude and let the warm drafts from below carry him up as he followed the rising spiral of the walkway. There was only one Peregrine out of his quarters and he waved when he saw that it was Bain going by.