Grizzly in the Grove

Scratching his head, he started down the slope back towards their new camp, pushed under a huge overhang of earth and roots. Giant boulders, turned green with layers of moss, obscured their tents from view. Bain had been pleased when Arthur had come across it, though the latter had spent most of his time in the camp clipping mushrooms from the sides of the roots.

It took him nearly an hour to get back, but he was rewarded with a bowl full of soup and a helping of meat. The hearty meal would calm his quivering nerves.

Rutiger trudged into the camp, one of his eyes blackened and his jaw clenched, the other three looking on in surprise and interest. He plopped down on the ground and grunted, spooning himself some of the stew. "Oh, yeah, I saw a Feral alright," he said, confirming their suspicions.

Bain stepped closer, the side of his mouth pulling up in a smirk. "Was it the one that tricked you before?"

Rutiger's glare could have burned a tree down. "No. The Feral I saw was as tall as you, Bain, and at least as strong."

"I guess we will have to go after that small one after all," Bain laughed. Arthur and Link joined in.

"I saw a male Feral you damn fools! He had just cut himself free and came at me like a lion. Slugged me right in the eye, too. I fought him off and then he pulled out his knife and took a jab at me," he growled.

"What made him run off then?" Arthur was bemused.

"My knife was bigger!"

All four roared with laughter and dug in to their suppers. Arthur denied having seen anything all day except for a few turkeys. When Bain asked Link if he had anything to report, he quickly snapped out of his day dreaming.

"I did not."

"That is too bad. A week and a half in Deepfell and we have seen two Ferals, only one of them a female. I do not think that is bad considering the size of this forest. I only wish we had seen more. Tomorrow I must go back to the castle to check on things. And I miss my nephew. You are each more than welcome to journey back with me," Bain said. Then his eyes drifted to Link, making him somewhat nervous. "Or you may stay here. You are each men able to make your own choices."

Link hoped Bain had not been listening to his conversation with Leda. He moved more quietly than any of them through the trees and could very well have snuck up on them. Link kept an eye on the king to see if he would look at him again. If he did, Link would know he had been nearby and knew his secret.

Thankfully, he wanted to hear more about Rutiger's encounter than anything else and Link retired to his tent early.

Everyone was up before the birds, ready to do one last round and then fly home. Arthur noticed that Link was not packing anything up.

"Are you not coming with us?" He asked.

"What happened the last time we all left the camp? I've brought my work with me. I've got plenty to keep me busy and it is much easier to focus out here without all the noise," Link replied.

"No need to get surly with me, friend. I'm only going back to sell what I have gathered. Stay if you would like," he said, slapping Link on the back. "But just between the two of us, if you see any special herbs or anything of value, pick it up for me."

He took a deep breath as soon as Arthur left. He needed to get a hold of himself and act calm. If Bain or the others found out that he had not only caught a Feral and released her, but that he had also agreed to meet her for coffee, they would be furious with him. He was worried that they would call him a traitor and even accuse him of aiding the Ferals in avoiding the other traps.