9: WE'RE COMING OUT (JOHNNY)

PHOTOS above and below - ERNIE

**

Johnny and Jason become the new sensation ...

It was a little after two  that afternoon when Jason and I took his car over to Strike's garage. I drove the Chevy and Jason drove right behind me, using me for guidance. There was so much paint on his windows, he could hardly see out.

It turned into a parade because I had to go slow so we wouldn't cause an accident. Other cars got held up behind us all the way down the Athens Road, around the square, and then south a couple blocks on the Columbus Road to Strike's garage.

Yah, definitely a real stupid parade, what with Jason's car advertising to everyone who saw it, a whole lot of people, that he and I were queer, gay, homos, fags and fairies, not to mention butt boys (I sort of liked that one), and everything else that was painted on there. But, at that point, we didn't give much a damn. We'd had so much fun fooling around with each other all last night and just before leaving, that we could have had others drive the cars and sat up on the roofs shirtless and waving to everyone.

Funny how fast you can change your attitude about things out of necessity. And with some good hot sex.

We parked in the lot in front of the garage on the Columbus Road, right across the street from the auto parts store where Uncle Ted had his office. Jason put his car right by the sidewalk where everyone could see it. You'd have had to be blind to miss it. It stood out like a big hippie dayglow sore thumb.

"Fuck. Let everyone in town see it," Jason said after we'd gotten out of the cars. "I don't care. Do you?"

I shook my head. "No way. The cat's out of the bag now and I don't give a crap. And I'll break the jaw of anyone who doesn't like it."

Cars were actually slowing down to look at the paint-jobbed Mustang. I put my arm around Jason's shoulder and we stood there grinning at the passers-by. One car was full of girls and the horn honked and voices shouted:

"Whoo hoo! Hottie boys!"

"Hunk-a-rama! Hey, dudes!"

"Yo! Boy-by-boy bros!"

I laughed at them and waved. "It's Ginny Rydell with Sabrina and some others. I wonder if she told them about last night at the party?"

Jason shrugged. "Who knows? She probably didn't. But after seeing the car now, she probably will. And she'll know who did it, too."

"And by the time school starts in late August," I added, "everyone at Kenton High will know we're queer."

Jason wriggled against me. "They'll all know by tomorrow. And sorry, dude, it doesn't scare me." He laughed. "Think of the challenge, Johnny. Every day. The possibilities for growth in having to deal with half the school mocking us and calling us names. We'll be worse off than the emos and goths and nerds."