2 - Life-changing

7 days before Chrissy

Y/N POV

If I'm honest, I could not focus on anything for the entire day. No matter how hard I tried, nothing that was going on in my life was anywhere near as interesting and outright insane as the fact that I was meeting up with Eddie Munson that night. It felt like what had happened in the woods wasn't real at all.

At lunch I was sat on my own in usual lunch spot, outside of the main high school building on a wall which faced the forest. I was completely lost in my thoughts when Dustin and his friends walked past me.

"Y/n?" The sound of my name snapped me out of my trance.

I raised my head and saw my little cousin, looking at me with a concerned expression whilst his friends looked confused behind him. I smiled at him.

"Are you alright?" He asked, looking genuinely a bit worried about why I was so zoned out. He didn't realise that I spent so much time alone at Hawkins High. He was too busy with his friends to notice I had none.

I nodded quickly," yes I'm great. I'm just worried about getting an assignment finished that I haven't started yet." It was a completely random lie, the first one that sprung to mind.

He didn't seem to believe me and glanced back at his friends before responding," hey erm, we were gonna hang out tonight at Mike's place later if you want to come? Nancy, Robin and Steve should all be there, you know them right?" I did know them, but not very well. Occasionally I would speak to them when I happened to be at Dustin's house at the same time as them, and they were friendly, but I wondered if they saw me as an intrusion. That wasn't the reason why I declined though, I had other plans already.

"Oh," I was surprised he had even asked. He never usually did. His friends didn't look that happy that he had, which made me feel uncomfortable.

I carried on," no that's okay. I have plans already."

Dustin sighed lightly, and I knew that he thought I was lying about having plans. I never had plans. He just stood looking at me for a moment.

Before either of us could speak again, I heard a familiar voice to my left. It was Eddie.

"Henderson," he said cheerfully, putting an arm on Dustin's shoulder. He hadn't noticed me initially but smiled at me when he realised that I was sat opposite them.

Being discreet, he continued to speak only to Dustin and his friends," how are we feeling about getting destroyed at Hellfire next week guys?" He smiled at my cousin over his shoulder and he turned to face him. It was as though I wasn't even there.

"That's what you think, but just you wait," he pointed his finger at Eddie and he raised his hands up in mock fear, widening his eyes and opening his mouth slightly.

"Get ready to be beaten Eddie," Lucas added, and Mike laughed as well. They were such dorks.

"Actually," Dustin said," Eddie do you want to come to Mike's tonight? I know I know, you don't really like our friends, but it could be fun if you wanted to show your face for a bit?" He suggested. Mike nodded in agreement.