CHAPTER 9

"We are finally here!" Nyla cheers with her partners, who join her while leaning against the girl's shoulders. "It's the Hearthome City! It's good to be back here." She sighs after taking off to join Paul as he bluntly disregards her enthusiasm with the pokemon egg encased around her arms.

Paul frowns at her words. "You been here before?"

"Yup!" Nyla glimpses around the store's windows, wishing to see anything intriguing for her to buy for her grandmother back home.

Eevee and Pikachu chose not to go on their own, afraid they might get lost in the sea of people.

"I fought Fantina, the Hearthome gym's leader. She's such an amazing opponent! You should have seen the ways Mismagius, Drifblim and Gengar battle styles. It was so elegant!" Nyla gleefully described, and her companion nodded in agreement.

"So, she used a ghost type, huh—" Paul mumbles. "Who did you—"

"Look at those poffins! They look amazing!"

Pikachu and Eevee visibly drooled at the various types of poffin and urged their trainer to buy some for them, making the girl giggle.

"Okay, okay. I will get some for you two! But, Paul, would you like-" She turns around and glances at the purple-haired boy only to see him fuming in rage. "Um~ Paul?"

"I'm going ahead to the Pokemon Center!" He stomps away, leaving the girl watching him baffled.

"What's his deal? Got his period or something?"

"Ka~/Eh-voi?" The pokemons tilt their heads, also not understanding the male trainer's behaviour.

"Nurse Joy!" Nyla greets the brink pink hair and fair skin lady behind the counter

"Hello there, Nyla. It's good to see you again here." Nurse Joy beams at the sight of the young girl with her buddies jumping off her shoulders onto the countertop.

"It's good to be back. There's sure lots more people around here." The girl hands the container with the egg to Chansey. "Nice to see you again too, Chansey."

The ovoid pokemon made a joyful sound and ran back into the treatment room with the egg container.

"Can you look over the egg for a while, Nurse Joy?"

The nurse chuckles. "Of course. Will you be joining the Tag Battles contest?"

Nyla excitedly bounces. "I am. I'm intending on joining it with a friend of mine. But, talking about him— Have you seen a boy with a permanent frown around here. He told me he will be here."

"I did, actually. He left his pokemon with me earlier, and I saw him walking toward the café. Do you have the entry card for the contest?"

The reddish brown-haired girl pulls out her card with the number 7. "I have it right here. I got to find my friend now. Bye, Nurse Joy!" And immediately, she took off.

It didn't take long to find Paul as she could instantly locate the boy and smiled cheekily.

Paul, just about to step out of the side door directing towards the training ground, strumbled forward but quickly regained his balance.

"Found you!!" Nyla tackles the poor boy, who almost falls flat to the ground but manages to stop himself, and she earns a deathly look from the boy.

"What the hell is your problems?!" He shouts, earning a few stares from the trainers inside the centre. "Mind your own business!" He funnelled his anger over the others, who quickly looked away, frightened of meeting the boy's wrath.

"Geez. What get your pants on fire?" Nyla rolls her eyes, pretending like she has done nothing wrong. "Did you have a stomach ache or something?"

"You little—"

"Let's go! The contest is about to start!"

"Huh?! We still have—"

Paul couldn't finish his words as the girl grasped his hand and took off, forcing him to run behind her. What she didn't witness was the fact that her actions had caused the boy's face to redden by her act as his eyes glued on their connected hands.

-At the Stadium-

"Look at those trainers! There are so many of them." Nyla gape as her eyes roams around the field, in awe at the various trainers gathering for the contest.

Paul pulls his hand back to his side, surprisingly gentler than he anticipated. Then, with his cheeks still blushing, he covers them by coughing. "They are a bunch of wimps anyway."

"There you go again—" Nyla sighs, poking Paul's cheek, which he decided to overlook her action. "I bet girls been adoring you back home, are they?"

"Yeah, right. Like any of them can impress me." The purple-haired trainer shrugs smugly.

"Well, I did." The girl shamelessly points at herself.

Both become silent as if the gears inside Paul's head start rotating, the smug on his face fades as he gazes at the reddish-brown-haired girl, and he can feel his cheeks warming but thank the mayor of the Hearthome City who has been taking his sweet times arises on stage pivoting the girl's attention away from him.

Paul can hear his heart pounding inside his chest that every word uttered by the mayor becomes muffled. He skims over the girl, feeling a strange sensation fluttering inside his stomach.

With Eevee returned to its Pokeball, terrified of drawing people from its difference, Pikachu glanced over the male trainer who had been sneaking a few looks at its trainer, whose attention over the mayor tilts its head.

"Ka~~"

A/N: I'm super excited for Nyla to meet the trio! I also want to apologize for the occasional update. Some days I can't think of anything to write, making me hate myself. I'm currently rewatching Pokemon, especially after Paul appeared in Pokemon Journeys.

I thanked those who have been reading this book despite having many grammar and spelling mistakes. I will edit them and thank those who help to point them out!

P.S: The girl in the gif doesn't resemble Nyla so much, but her smile is cute, so I decided to put it up.