CHAPTER 8

A/N: I know I'm such trash, and I haven't been updating for so long. I have writer's block after getting covid back to back, and my house was affected by floods. 

So many things happened, and I just can't get my head into writing. So I can't promise anything for now, but I love this story, and I wasn't going to abandon it.

Eevee lets out happy sighs as Nyla brushes its tail at the campsite that they made after passing through a cave and maze full of rock-type pokemon. They found a nice spot near a stream with a huge tree as a shelter from the sun.

Paul has been gone saying that he saw a strong-looking Fearow and on his ways of catching it, leaving the girl with her pokemon to set up the camp.

"There you go! What do you think?!" Nyla states, watching Eevee happily hugs her now shiny and fluffy tail.

Letting out a satisfied cry, Eevee let a sound as its thanking its trainer and took off to play with Pikachu and Zubat.

"Don't go too far!" She warns them, and they nod, understanding her words.

Not long after that, she packed her stuff and readied to cook some lunch. Nyla hears strings of curses and stomping from she-know-who.

"Why so glump? Does it get away?"

"Shut up!"

Nyla snorts while tying a brown apron around her waist with a pokeballs pattern. "Sure, sure. Now help me—"

"Those idiots!"

"Or not." She takes out the kitchenware and starts chopping oran and rawst berries. "Pass me that bowl." She points the steel bowl near Paul, which he unknowingly obeyed.

"What the used of having brains if they can't even use it!"

Nyla walked over to the boy's pouch and took all his pokeballs. She let out his pokemon without asking him, but he doesn't even witness her actions, too riled up by his earlier mishap.

"Go asks the others if they need any help. I will handle this one—" Her thumb pointed over Paul, who was still ranting cusses which alarmed his pokemon, and they quickly took off, not wanting to be near him.

Chimchar dwells around as he wants to help the reddish-brown hair girl, but he also doesn't want to be with Paul, whose eyes are burning with anger.

"You can help me next time. Why don't you help Houndour to gather some woods for the fire?" Nyla suggests as she notices the fire chimp's longing looks.

"Char!" Liking her words, he happily runs off to search for more woods.

Nyla chuckles and peeks over the annoyed boy who is still throwing his wrath around.

"—Can't she see that I was trying to catch that Fearow! What used are those eyes for?! Unbelievable—"

BOOM

Loud explosions that cause the ground to shake silent Paul as all attention turn at the smokes coloring the clear sky followed by screamed of 'we are blasting off again.'

"My, my. Shooting star in the middle of the day. You don't see that every day." Nyla states, stirring the curry after dumping some more vegetables in it.

"What the hell was that?" Paul narrows his eyes. "Must be those idiots— Where's my pokemon?!" He gaped as he searched inside his now empty pouch, and only then did he witness most of his pokemon are down the stream. "You little—"

"Pass me the salt."

"You dare too—"

"Salt, Paul. Now." Her eyes no longer gleamed with a playfulness that made the boy tense and quickly passed her the seasoning. She gently took it away from him and stated. "I know that you're angry to whoever the trio you been cursing on and on, but I'm hungry, my pokemon hungry, so does yours, and I assume, so do you. So now you either help me you can shove this ladle up your bum."

Paul stares at the girl as she shakes the ladle in her hand. "Give me that." He snatches the spoon and stirs the curry, not wanting to be on the girl's wrong side that proven not a pleasant side.

Nyla stifles her laugh as she watches Paul pout, making her feel a bit guilty. "I swear I saw a strong-looking Onix gliding around the maze. A bit larger than any Onix I ever met."

Paul's head turns over the girl faster than a quick attack, mouth open and close as he was merely speechless.

"Why don't we go look for it after we finish eating."

Like a child given candy, his eyes lighten up, and Nyla swears she saw his hands moving faster with a slight smile on his face that disappeared when he noticed she was looking at him.

Nyla internally snorts but with a smile painting her lips.

With everyone fully fed, Nyla took off alongside Paul to search for the Onix raging around.

It didn't take them long to catch it; after a few Gravelers rolling around, almost turning the two of them into pancakes, Onix appears behind those groups. With the help of Paul's Torterra, he successfully catches it after a few rough battles.

"Look promising, wasn't it?" Nyla appears from behind him as he stares at the Pokeball containing Onix.

"Hmph. It's getting dark. We better go back to the camp." Although Paul won't admit it out loud, he did feel better after losing the Fearow early that day.

Nyla sighs loudly and glances at Torterra. "A little thank you would be nice."

"Terra~"

Paul spun to call his pokemon back into its Pokeball but stopped as he watched Nyla climbing over Torterra, making him groan and put away the Pokeball.

"Onward!" Nyla cried out with her hand stretched outward.

Torterra shook its head and let out amused rumbling yet obliged as it paced beside his trainer.

"Paul! Come on, this is so much fun!"

"My feet are working fine, so no."

A twig hit his head, making him glare at the taller girl, who smiles smugly. "You little—"

Torterra gives a side-glance over his trainer, having a heated argument with the girl sitting on his shell, still throwing whatever she can find, which angers the boy even more.

The continent pokemon can see how its trainer has started to open his heart to Nyla as they have been together the longest since Paul has chosen Turtwig as his starter pokemon, and they have grown strong alongside each other.

Aside from Reggie, Nyla is the only person who can go along with Paul's attitudes, and despite their differences, they care for each other.